Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Invictus | Review

33152795Title: Invictus
Author: Ryan Graudin
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: September 26, 2017
Source: Netgalley

Time flies when you're plundering history.
Farway Gaius McCarthy was born outside of time. The son of a time-traveling Recorder from 2354 AD and a gladiator living in Rome in 95 AD, Far's birth defies the laws of nature. Exploring history himself is all he's ever wanted, and after failing his final time-traveling exam, Far takes a position commanding a ship with a crew of his friends as part of a black market operation to steal valuables from the past.
But during a heist on the sinking Titanic, Far meets a mysterious girl who always seems to be one step ahead of him. Armed with knowledge that will bring Far's very existence into question, she will lead Far and his team on a race through time to discover a frightening truth: History is not as steady as it seams.
In this heart-stopping adventure, Ryan Graudin has created a fast-paced world that defies time and space. 

**Thanks so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I had never read a book by Ryan Graudin before, so I was super pumped when Netgalley allowed this one as a read now option for the first 500 readers. Of course I jumped on the opportunity. 

This book is all about time travel, so that already caught my attention. I immediately got a few Doctor Who vibes throughout the book. Plus there's gladiators and the Titanic, etc. What's not to love?? 

Our main character was also born to two people from different times. It's so interesting. 

Despite the awesome time travel premise, I did find the book a little slow at times, but that may just be because I read it during summertime and I'm always in the mood for super fast-paced novels in the summer. Honestly, that's the only downside to this book. Sure, it was fast-paced at times, but it was a little slow sometimes. 

I know for sure that I'm going to check out Graudin's past books now!

3 comments:

  1. I got a copy at ALA and I've been a bit hesitant because I feel like time travel isn't always explained the best. I can see how the pacing might be off though. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one but now I'm fascinated. I actually stopped by because the cover caught my eye (hangs head in shame) and now I'm hopping over to GR to check it out some more. Thanks!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd actually gone to pick this up but wasn't in the mood for the sci-fi vibes but reading your review and remembering I love me a bit of time travel I think I'll give it another shot. It definitely seemed a bit slow to start when I first tried to read but if I can speed through it and really get to the good stuff I'm sure I'll be hooked. Graudin hasn't disappointed me yet.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!