Monday, July 10, 2017

Read This Book & Other Truths

Title: Trusting You & Other Lies
Author: Nicole Williams
Publisher: Crown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: June 20, 2017
Source: Netgalley

USA Today and New York Times bestselling author Nicole Williams delivers a seductive summer romance worth swooning over. Perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen and Stephanie Perkins.
Phoenix can't imagine anything worse than being shipped off to family summer camp. Her parents have been fighting for the past two years-do they seriously think being crammed in a cabin with Phoenix and her little brother, Harry, will make things better?
On top of that, Phoenix is stuck training with Callum-the head counselor who is seriously cute but a complete know-it-all. His hot-cold attitude means he's impossible to figure out-and even harder to rely on. But despite her better judgement, Phoenix is attracted to Callum. And he's promising Phoenix a summer she'll never forget. Can she trust him? Or is this just another lie?

**Thank you to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

what i liked
  • The relationship between Phoenix and Callum. There was definitely something going on between them from the moment they met, and I loved how easy it was to tell from a reader's standpoint that they were going to be good for each other.
  • The sibling love. Phoenix was always looking out for her little brother and I loved that. It was so cute and showed how much she cared for him! 
  • The ending. The book was pretty slow for a while though I thought that it really picked up the pace towards the end, which I appreciated. I wish it was a little faster the whole way through though!
  • THERE WAS NO INSTA-LOVE. It's about damn time an author got this right!
what i didn't like
  • The way that Phoenix kept pushing Callum to go to college. I don't even think it's that big of a deal, but at times I was getting aggravated with her. It just seemed like she was forcing him to look at schools and consider colleges because that was her life plan too. 
  • Callum's attitude towards Phoenix. At times, he seemed a little immature. I liked him as a person, sure, but sometimes he was a little weird towards Phoenix and it got on my nerves.
  • The pace. I know I mentioned this already, but it did seem pretty slow for a big chunk of time.
overall

If you're looking for an easy-to-read summer novel to read on the beach, this is the one for you. However, be prepared for the slow pacing!


2 comments:

  1. I recently read Windfall and found that the main character had a similar issue with pushing college on her love interest because that's what she always planned on doing. I thought it was really irritating. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for no insta-love but yay for sibling love! Callum sounds quite frustrating though. I might give this a go but I have other books I'd rather read first! :D

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!