Monday, July 24, 2017

First We Were IV

32259911Title: First We Were IV
Author: Alexandra Sirowy
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: July 25, 2017
Source: Netgalley

It started for pranks, fun, and forever memories.
A secret society-for the four of us.
The rules: Never lie. Never tell. Love each other.
We made the pledge and danced under the blood moon on the meteorite in the orchard. In the spot we found the dead girl five years earlier. And discovered the ancient drawings way before that.
Nothing could break the four of us apart-I thought.
But then, others wanted in. Our seaside town had secrets.
History.
We wanted revenge.
We broke the rules. We lied. We told. We loved each other too much, not enough, and in ways we weren't supposed to.
Our invention ratcheted out of control.
What started as a secret society, ended as justice. Revenge. Death. Rebellion.

**Thanks so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

what i liked
  • There were a shit ton of twists and turns in this book, and I honestly didn't see any of them coming. A lot of times, I end up hating a book because I see the plot twists coming, but this book was different. 
  • The premise was extremely intriguing. It's not often that a premise is as awesome as this one.
  • The entire band of characters was great. Sometimes, books with a lot of characters can get pretty confusing, but each one was very distinct which allowed me to easily know who each character was. 
  • Sirowy's writing style is breathtaking. This was my first read by her, and I know for sure I want to check out more by her in the future.

what i disliked
  • The book felt very slow moving at times, especially in the beginning. It took me quite a while to actually get into the book, but I kept pushing through.  

2 comments:

  1. This one is on my TBR list. I don't mind a book moving slowly...well, not that much...if the story, characters and writing largely make up for it. Especially if the POVs are distinct (not so easy a feat!) and the twists are unexpected...as all twists that deserve their name should be LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing really good things about this! I like that you weren't able to guess the plot twists; that happens a lot to me as well and it's always such a letdown! Too bad the book was hard to get into, but it seemed like it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!