Friday, February 24, 2017

I Wanted A Little More From Fairest

22489107Title: Fairest
Author: Marissa Meyer
Release Date: January 27, 2015
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #3.5
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends

In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana's story is finally told.
Mirror, mirror on the wall,Who is the fairest of them all?
Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her "glamour" to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story-a story that has never been told... until now.
Marissa Meyer spins yet another unforgettable tale about love and war, deceit and death. This extraordinary book includes full-color art and an excerpt from Winter, the next book in the Lunar Chronicles series.



-what i liked-
  • I loved that this gave the reader an in-depth look into the live of Queen Levana. I actually felt bad for her at times, which I never thought would happen. Then again, everyone loves a twisted and emotional villain. 
  • The book made me understand why she is the way that she is now.
  • I liked learning about Cinder's mother. Will Cinder ever actually learn about her mother though, because her mother was absolutely horrible??
  • I liked that it was short because it was a novella. These books are literal beasts!

-what i didn't like-
  • Okay, so I have a love/hate relationship with the ending. I mean, it made perfect sense and paved the way for Winter to take place, though like I really wanted a bit more at times. I felt like there was such a huge build-up and then the story ended on such a high without really going anywhere, though I guess that was probably the point of it all. I just felt like something was missing when I finished.
  • Why was Cinder's mom so horrible??????

 

9 comments:

  1. I thought this book was rather sad but also very intriguing to see where Levana was coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this book! Like you, I loved that Levana was fleshed out a little more and we really get to see exactly why she's a villain in the story. I just love the message that everyone has reasons for what they do and there aren't necessarily 'bad' people, just people with different opinions of what is 'right'. That said, Levana does turn out to be a pretty horrible person after her horrendous childhood. But really, all she wants are for people to love her after spending her whole life feeling unloved.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the ending. I LOVED the book on the whole because I really liked getting to see into Levana's history. And it really did set the stage for Winter and introduces us to the Lunar culture/world. I was ok with the ramp up and then end because I really did jump straight into Winter afterwards. And while it obviously doesn't pick up from the same point, it did feed my appetite for more. Great review!

    ~ Michelle @ FaerieFits

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cinder's whole family was messed up, it's a shame that she probably would have had a more positive experience living on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember really enjoying this book. Like you, it made me understand why the Lunar Queen was the way she was. It also humanised her. I loved that about this book. I could connect with her and it was weird because I didn't want to like her. Well I wouldn't go so far as saying 'liked' her. But I definitely had sympathy for her.

    Have you read Winter yet?

    Jordon @ Simply Adrift

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!