Monday, February 6, 2017

Cinder by Marissa Meyer | Review

11235712Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #1

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl.
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.



Since I've had the Lunar Chronicles series on my shelves for the longest time, I figured that it was time that I finally picked up and read the series. I read Cinder years ago when it was first released so this was a reread for me. The first time that I read it, I gave it five stars. That changed for me during the reread, and here's why.

what i liked
•It's a retelling of Cinderella! Cinderella is my all time favorite princess, so I was really looking forward to reading about her.
•There's a science fiction twist! I love sci-fi things, so that really made me like this book more.
•PRINCE KAI. He was so completely lovable and dreamy, probably because he's a prince. But also, he can look past everything about Cinder, which I really admired.
•Cinder was part cyborg! I've never read a book about cyborgs before.
•THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT LIVE ON THE MOON. If only that actually could happen and people could live on the moon now! Except the moon people in this world are called Lunars and they are horrible people, *cough cough* Queen Levana.
•The plague. I know that's a horrible thing to like, but I just find it very interesting, especially when you find out what brought the plague to the people in the first place.

what i disliked
•The book seemed a little slow at times. To be honest, it took me a little while to get into it. I started out listening to it on audiobook, though I found myself zoning out a bit and thinking about other stuff, so I decided to switch over to my physical copy which helped a little bit. I still found it a little meh at times though. 

Obviously I had way more pros than cons for this book. I give it a four star rating because I am definitely looking forward to moving on with the rest of the series!


Have you read Cinder? What were your thoughts?

10 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Cinder and the rest of the series. I get that it took a while to get into and was a little slow though. Glad you still liked it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had Cinder (and Scarlet and Cress) sitting on my shelf for so long. Seeing your review makes me want to *finally* pick it up and dive into the series.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prince Kai is sooo swoony, I swear! <3 Queen Levana is soo interesting, I hope you get to read Fairest soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore the Lunar Chronicles! And I'm glad you enjoyed Cinder. Trust me, this series just keeps getting better and better.

    anna | annaish

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to read the moon queen novella Fairest. I think it's one of Meyer's best works yet. Read the series so you can get to it. And yes Cinder has some slow pacing issues. Four stars sounds completely fair and I LOVE Cinderella.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I hope you keep reading the series! I LOVED Cinder, but in hindsight, it was one of the WEAKEST books in the series. I DO hope you enjoy the rest! :D

    ~ Michelle @ FaerieFits

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Lunar Chronicles are such a fun series, and Cinder and Kai remain my favourite characters through the whole thing! It's so interesting as an adaption, just seeing how the old fairy tales were translated into a the futuristic setting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favourite series!
    I agree that this one had its slower moments as well.
    I hope you enjoy the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one book I *still* haven't read. Clearly, I have some serious "book issues" because of this. Glad to read you enjoyed it despite the few flaws. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prince Kai...total swoon! I think my favourite character in the book was Iko! I'm always a fan of androids in sci-fi. I hope you enjoy Scarlet too Krystianna, I liked it more than Cinder personally! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!