Friday, January 20, 2017

The Selection... AKA One of My Fave Rereads

10507293
Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #1
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Edition: Audiobook

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself-and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

I read this book a few years ago in 2012 right before I started this blog. I know, that's a long time ago, right?? Anyway, I remembered loving it so much and saw that my online library had copies of the next few books in the series, and for some reason I all of a sudden wanted to revisit this world because The Selection had been my favorite novel of 2012. I just couldn't resist the urge! Therefore I immediately started reading The Selection again, this time through an audiobook.

The Selection follows America Singer, who is in the fifth caste in her world, which is called Illea. In this world, the prince hosts a selection in order to find his future wife. America doesn't think she would ever get chosen, neither does she even want to participate, because she's in love with Aspen Ledger, her older brother's best friend who is a caste below them.

One night, Aspen breaks up with America and she ends up applying to the Selection. Somehow, she gets chosen and then she's swept off into a brand new world in Angeles, with thirty-four other girls and one handsome prince named Maxon.

I SERIOUSLY LOVED THIS BOOK. If possible, I think that I enjoyed this book even more the second time around. It's really made me realize how much I want to reread some books. America was an alright protagonist. I really liked how strong of a person she was. She stood up for herself really well, even if it meant that she had to stand up to royalty.

However, my favorite character was Prince Maxon. He was just so dreamy! He was always there for America because of their deal, and was extremely funny at times. He was seriously so charming. Why aren't there more Prince Maxons in the world!?

I really liked Aspen in the beginning though over time I liked him less. I just wanted Prince Maxon and America to get together! Aspen was the one who broke up with America in the first place. If you love something then don't let it go, Aspen!


I absolutely adored The Selection and honestly can't wait to continue on with the series. If you're new to this series, I highly suggest you check it out. It's a beautiful mix of contemporary and dystopian, and you even get to explore royalty!


Favorite Quotes:

True love is usually the most inconvenient kind.

Listen to me, kitten. Win or lose, you'll always be a princess to me.

No, I'm not choosing him or you. I'm choosing me.

I hope you find someone you can't live without. I really do. And I hope you never have to know what it's like to have to try and live without them.

4 comments:

  1. I read The Selection a while ago but I do remember having enjoyed it! Will have to re-read soon!

    xx Anisha (https://sprinkledpages.blogspot.com.au/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keira Cass is a very talented author. Did you also read her sirens novel? It's a standalone and I loved it. The Selection is a great series too. I can't wait to hear what's she's doing next. I know from Instagram that she is working on something. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding a book that you loved so much the first time around that you simply HAVE to read it again is a magical thing - especially if you get the chance to listen to it as an audiobook! There are a few books I would love to reread at some point, too. I have the first three books in this series but haven't had the chance to dive into them yet, but after seeing how much you love it, I'll definitely push it up on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so timely that I am seeing this post now! I *just* finished this book last night... and it was my first time reading it. I've had the series sitting on my shelves for years but just never got to it. I was wary because I've heard so many people complain about America but I enjoyed it so much! I think I'm already over Aspen (he's seriously throwing a wrench in everything) and I am for Prince Maxon all the way. Such a sweet guy with so much on his shoulders. I'm so excited to continue with the series. So happy I saw this post, Krystianna. :)

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!