Monday, January 30, 2017

The One Hit Me In the Feels

15844362Title: The One
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #3
Release Date: May 6, 2014
Edition: Audiobook
Publisher: HarperTeen

The highly anticipated conclusion to Kiera Cass's #1 New York Times bestselling Selection series, The One will captivate readers who love dystopian YA fiction and fairy tales. The One is the perfect finale for fans who have followed America's whirlwind romance since it began--and a swoon-worthy read for teens who have devoured Veronica Roth's Divergent, Ally Condie's Matched, or Lauren Oliver's Delirium.
The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of Illea, Aspen--and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice... and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.
Find out who America will choose in The One, the enchanting, beautifully romantic third book in the Selection series!
this review contains spoilers

I was so pumped to pick up The One because I seriously loved The Selection and its sequel, The Elite. I have to say that if you've read the first two books, you should definitely check out this one.

what i liked
•America finally chose to be with Maxon at the end of The Elite. Thank god she finally made a choice! 
•Celeste!! I finally began to seriously love her as a character. She became so much easier to understand and I really liked that. 
•Maxon flipped shit when America finally told him about Aspen! FINALLY. I think that she kind of deserved it and I appreciated that he was upset, however part of me was really scared that he wasn't going to end up with her.
•I loved the letters from Maxon. I thought they were the sweetest thing ever.
•THEY ENDED UP TOGETHER. It was all that I wanted!
•The ending left so much room for future opportunity. I'm hoping that more is explored with the revolution/uprising that has been going on and I also hope to see the caste system change in the future books. Hopefully something along those lines happens!
•This book literally gave me so many feelings. I haven't tried to read through a final book in such a long time. Like... since Mockingly. I was literally broken at about 91% through the book because I was so scared for Maxon and America. You can see my exact reactions if you check my Goodreads!


what i didn't like
•Because she already made a choice, I thought that they'd be getting together way earlier in the book, though it seemed to still take a while because oh yeah, AMERICA STILL NEVER TOLD MAXON ABOUT ASPEN. Why didn't she just tell him as soon as he came to the palace?? I mean, Maxon already knew about Aspen and America! It's what made the two of them close in the first place!
•I thought that the seduction scene between Maxon and America was a little odd. I mean, America already pretty much would have Maxon to herself because he clearly loved her so much.
•Celeste's death! I mean, I guess I could see that people did have to die in that very last rebel attack, but I didn't see it coming! I finally liked her, and then I became so upset when she was gone.
•I felt like it took quite a while for a lot to start to happen in this book. Namely, I finally got really into the story when Maxon and America left the palace thanks to Aspen.
•I wasn't the biggest fan of Kriss because I was so scared that she was a big threat to the relationship between Maxon and America.

Despite all that, this is yet another five star read for me. I literally love this world and the fact that it's just such a fun read. I am looking forward to reading the next books, though I'm a little sad that it isn't about Maxon and America!


Have you read The One? What were your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I loved The One as well! I didn't really like The Elite because America was being so indecisive and was unwilling to look at things from Maxon's point of view. However, I really liked how Kiera Cass made everything so much more multi-faceted (both characters and plot structures). I loved how she made Celeste more complex and included more of the rebels and their identity. Lovely review, Krystianna!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a total fan of this series. Read all 5 and the novellas. Meeting Cass at YallFest 2015 was epic. So happy to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge fan of the series. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me just say that this book ended on a good note and I personally enjoyed the ending. I am sure some may not feel that way, but I thought that wrapped up very well and it was done excellently.

    Kevin Elwood

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!