Monday, January 9, 2017

Tandem by Anna Jarzab | Review

15829686Title: Tandem
Author: Anna Jarzab
Series: Many-Worlds Trilogy #1
Release Date: October 8, 2013
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Edition: Hardcover (428 pages)


Everything repeats. You. Your best friend. Every person you know. Many worlds. Many lives--infinite possibilities. Welcome to the multiverse.
Sixteen-year-old Sasha Lawson has only ever known one small, ordinary life. When she was young, she loved her grandfather's stories of parallel worlds inhabited by girls who looked like her but led totally different lives. Sasha never believed such worlds were real--until now, when she finds herself thrust into one against her will.
To prevent imminent war, Sasha must slip into the life of an alternate version of herself, a princess who has vanished on the eve of her arranged marriage. If Sasha succeeds in fooling everyone, she will be returned home; if she fails, she'll be trapped in another girl's life forever. As time runs out, Sasha finds herself torn between two worlds, two lives, and two young men vying for her love--one who knows her secret, and one who thinks she's someone she's not.
The first book in the Many-Worlds Trilogy, Tandem is a riveting saga of love and betrayal set in parallel universes in which nothing--and no one--is what it seems.

 If you know me well, then you'll know that I'm obsessed with the idea of parallel universes. I just think that it's so cool and I love learning about all the different theories and stuff. That's what initially drew me into Tandem. However, the book ended up being quite a let-down.

I really liked the whole idea of the parallel universes that was implemented in the book. Basically, everyone has copies of themselves in other worlds, though who you are in that other world may be completely different and you'll also have a different name. For example, the main character Sasha was just like a princess in another world. I thought that was an interesting concept, rather than the whole "every time you make a decision a new world is created" parallel universe concept that is more commonly used.

Despite that, I didn't really like Sasha that much. She made realizations way too quickly in the book, to the point where it didn't make sense at times. Sasha was given a bracelet when she was kidnapped into the other world which was keeping her there and helping her with sickness. Somehow, within minutes of realizing that she had the bracelet on, she already guessed what it did. Like what? It's impossible to make realizations that quickly for the average human in my opinion.

So my main issue lied with Sasha. I also felt like a lot of what I was reading what already done before, though that may just mean that I wasn't in the mood for what I was reading. I will probably not be continuing on with the series, but if this seems like an interesting novel to you, then I do suggest checking it out. It just wasn't what I was initially expecting when I picked it up.


Notable quotes:

The world is far less random than it appears. Once you started paying attention, patterns emerged where before you only saw chaos.

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't end up liking this one. I actually had this title on my TBR but recently removed it because I felt like I would never get to it. After reading your review, I'm glad I decided not to pick it up. I do hope you end up liking your next read though!

    Talina @ Sassy & Dangerous

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no, I'm so sorry! The blurb sounded like it had such potential!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it wasn't for you. That happens sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it such a bummer when a great idea is undermined by annoying characters? Sasha sounds like an MC who would have me constantly rolling my eyes, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember reading this one a few years back and I wasn't impressed either. I've learned that parallel universes and time travel are hard to write. I hear there is a sequel out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh too bad you didn't like it that much Krystianna! I love stories about parallel universes too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awh, bummer this one was a let down for you. This book slipped under my radar initially, bu because of your problems with the main character, I probably won't be reaching for this one any time soon. (the main character stuff bugs me a lot too!)

    great review.

    Happy Reading :)

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was interested in this when it first released, but obviously it wasn't that strong, because I've never picked it up. It's understandable that you weren't keen on this, since I find it very hard to like something when you can't like the main character! Hopefully you enjoy your next read much more, Krystianna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting concept but I don't think I'll like the main character much! XD

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!