Friday, January 6, 2017

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer | Review

10331417Title: Nightshade
Author: Andrea Cremer
Series: Nightshade #1
Publisher: Speak
Release Date: October 19, 2010
Edition: Paperback (454 pages), audiobook

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known.
By following her heart, she might lose everything-including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

warning: this review contains spoilers

I had been hearing such good things about Nightshade since it came out way back in 2010. That's why when I saw it at the store for cheap, I immediately picked it up. I had let it sit on my shelf for quite a few months until I remembered that it was there a few days ago while browsing my library's online audiobook collection because they had the audio version of it. I thought it would be kind of cool to listen and read along at the same time, so that's exactly what I did!

what i liked:
-WEREWOLVES. I'm a sucker for paranormal novels, and I honestly don't read enough of them. That's a big part of what pulled me into reading this one.
-REN. I freaking love Ren! There's just something about him. I was constantly hoping that Ren and Calla would fall in love.
-The paranormal world & the school. I found it so interesting that tons of humans went to school with these werewolves and Keepers. They didn't even know that they were going to school with tons of otherworldly creatures. I also thought it was hilarious that Calla said that the humans were are the "bottom of the food chain" in this school, even though they'd probably be the popular kids at another school.

what i disliked:
-Shay. He was always on my nerves. He just showed up out of the middle of nowhere on the very first page because he was going on a stupid hike and was dying. Of course, Calla being the good person that she is, decided to try to save him and ended up succeeding. He was so annoying. Every time that he showed up, I got extremely upset. I just wanted him to go away!
-Calla got on my nerves... I get that she's the main character, but sometimes I just wanted to tell her that she should just be with Shay.
-Shay getting turned into a werewolf. I mean sure, I guess I should've seen that coming, but I'm still bothered by it. IT JUST PUT HIM ON A MORE EVEN PLAYING FIELD WITH REN.
-The voice used for Calla on the audiobook. I kind of wonder if that's what made me not like Calla that much. The woman who spoke for Calla seemed much older than the voice that I'd pinpoint for her, so it threw me off a bit.

will i continue the series? Yes, because I JUST WANT HER AND REN TO BE TOGETHER. I think I'll just go audio though and listen to it on a higher speed.

Have you read this series? What were your thoughts?


Notable quotes:

The relationship of a girl and her favorite novel can be complex indeed.

"Tell me you'll come back for the pack. For me." His eyes were bright with tears. "I don't want to lose you."

8 comments:

  1. I haven't actually heard of the series before but always on the lookout for new paranormal reads. I don't mind love triangles when they've been written well and each character is distinct, otherwise they all sound alike. Do you think the narration could have stopped you enjoying it a little more? Happy to see you'll continue on though, hopefully it improves with each instalment. Brilliant review poppet <3 really.enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always heard mixed things about this series, it's one of the reasons I've not started it, even though I've had the first book on my shelf for years! Shay does sound really annoying, hopefully you won't have to put up with him so much in the next few books. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My previous comment never made it. Grrr. Anyway I've heard great things about this book and might actually read it one day. Was it the book itself or just characters you disliked that made the book a 3 star read? Either way nice review, I'm intrigued about reading this book in the future. Good work and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Team Ren! I adored Ren when I read this years ago. Shay should have been left in the forest in my opinion. He really was the worst aspect of this series...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, this book takes me way back. I read it ages ago and I was a huge werewolf fan (I still am!) so I loved this book but the third and last one? I still have issues about it. LOL But I hope you'll enjoy the next two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love these school setting type books. This sounds like a lot of fun, and I love a god shifter book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review!! I read this series as it was being released, and I adored it! Honestly, seeing your review makes me want to go re-read the series. I bought the spin-off series, but I still haven't read it. Maybe I NEED to re-read this series so I can finally read those> Sounds about right! ;)

    Anyway, when I read this book, I remember really liking Shay and Calla, but I wonder if I'd be more on your side if I were to -re-read it now. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you think of the rest of the series!

    - Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh, I loved this series! I finished it a while back, and thought it was sexy and dark. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the rest of the trilogy!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!