Friday, January 13, 2017

Gemina AKA Another Great Illuminae Files Novel

Title: Gemina
29236299
Series: The Illuminae Files #2
Author: Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristoff, Illustrated by Marie Lu
Release Date: October 18, 2016
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Edition: Hardcover (608 pages)

Moving to a space station at the edge of the galaxy was always going to be the death of Hanna's social life. Nobody said it might actually get her killed.
The sci-fi saga that began with the breakout bestseller Illuminae continues on board the Jump Station Heimdall, where two new characters will confront the next wave of the BeiTech assault.
Hanna is the station captain's pampered daughter; Nik the reluctant member of a notorious crime family. But while the pair are struggling with the realities of life aboard the galaxy's most boring space station, little do they know that Kady Grant and the Hypatia are headed right toward Heimdall, carrying news of the Kerenza invasion.
When an elite BeiTech strike team invades the station, Hanna and Nik are thrown together to defend their home. But alien predators are picking off the station residents one by one, and a malfunction in the station's wormhole means the space-time continuum might be ripped in two before dinner. Soon hanna and Nik aren't just fighting for their own survival; the fate of everyone on the Hypatia-and possibly the known universe-is in their hands.
But relax. They've totally got this. They hope.
Once again told through a compelling dossier of emails, IMs, classified files, transcripts, and schematics, Gemina raises the stakes of the Illuminae Files, hurling readers into an enthralling new story that will leave them breathless. 

Be warned... this review contains spoilers if you haven't read either Illuminae or Gemina!

After reading Illuminae last year, I knew that I was going to want to continue on with this series. That's why as soon as I had the chance to go to the bookstore this year after Gemina released, it was the first book that I picked up to purchase. Even though I didn't love it as much as Illuminae, Gemina was a major hit with me!

Gemina follows two different characters, Hanna and Nik, though the story takes place in the same world as Illuminae. Hanna is the daughter of the station captain and Nik is pretty much part of a mafia aboard Heimdall. Hanna was a very badass character and I really liked her. She was always sticking up for herself and was willing to get dirty and fight.


Nik was very interesting. I have heard multiple people say that they prefer him to Ezra, but I just loved Ezra so much so nothing could replace him! Nik was cool though because he was part of this mafia group aboard the ship. I have never read a book with mafia in it, nonetheless in science fiction, so that was pretty cool.

Once again, this book had a really cool setup. The book was told through instant messages, emails, video surveillance scripts, and interviews. I have heard from many people that the audiobooks of this series are really awesome and add a lot to the story, so I think before the third book comes out I'm definitely going to listen to the audiobooks to get that part of the story!

If you haven't started this series, I definitely suggest you jump on it soon!


16 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this - although I have yet to find someone who doesn't like these books. Although *hangs head in shame* I haven't actually read them yet myself. Hopefully that will be rectified this year :) Great review, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have book one and need to read it myself. Glad you are having so much fun with this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I'm happy you loved it! I have yet to read Illuminae, but I've read Jay Kristoff's other books, so I'll have to read this series soon!
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got Gemina the other day!! So excited to get to it. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I finished this book a few weeks ago and loved it. I can’t wait for the next one.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Glad you loved this! It was such a fun read right! I think I like Erza better too but Nik was pretty awesome (: Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read Illuminae but I do have a copy and when I first got it I couldn't help but admire the cover and the inside with the snippets etc. I'm so glad it was still a hit after such an amazing debut. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about this series, and will miss it when it's finished. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't read your review closely as I haven't read Gemina yet, but I'm so excited to see that you loved it! Illuminae was definitely a pleasant surprise for me and I was totally blown away by it, so hopefully I'll love Gemina too. The meta style was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to see you enjoyed this so much!! I need to read Gemina ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed Gemina! I read Illuminae last year and while I found it interesting and unique, unfortunately I didn't love it. I'm hearing there's a third book in this series coming out sometime in 2017. Great review! :)

    Happy Reading! Miranda @ Miranda's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. BOYCOTT AMERICAN WOMEN!

    www.BoycottBitches.com

    I am an American man, and I have decided to boycott American women. In a nutshell, American women are the most likely to cheat on you, to divorce you, to get fat, to steal half of your money in the divorce courts, don't know how to cook or clean, don't want to have children, etc. Therefore, what intelligent man would want to get involved with American women?

    American women are generally immature, selfish, extremely arrogant and self-centered, mentally unstable, irresponsible, and highly unchaste. The behavior of most American women is utterly disgusting, to say the least.

    This blog is my attempt to explain why I feel American women are inferior to foreign women (non-American women), and why American men should boycott American women, and date/marry only foreign (non-American) women.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am absolutely happy that you loved Gemina! Didn't it blow your mind? :) I cannot legit wait for book 3!

    Kate @ The Bookaholic Blurbs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad that you enjoyed Gemina! :) You're so right, nobody could replace Ezra! *.* But Nik was pretty cool, too :p I can't wait for the next part in the story and am really excited to see how they're going to tell it :0

    Great review! :)

    Here's my review of Gemina @ Swissbookworm

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eep, I still need to get to this sequel! I'm so pleased to read that you loved it like the first though - makes me want to move it up my TBR to read ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I TOTALLY agree with you here! I loved Gemina, but not *quite* as much as Illuminae. I liked Nik, but I also slightly prefer Ezra. BUT I wouldn't have wanted two similar guys anyway, so I think Nik was an awesome addition either way! I liked Hanna too. I cannot WAIT to see what they do with the next book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!