Friday, December 30, 2016

The 100 by Kass Morgan | Review

17332969Title: The 100
Author: Kass Morgan
Series: The 100 #1
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Release Date: September 3, 2013
Edition: audiobook (7 hours)

No one has set food on Earth in centuries--until now.
Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents--considered expendable by society--are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life.. or it could be a suicide mission.
CLARKE was arrested for treason, though she's haunted by the memory of what she really did. WELLS, the chancellor's son, came to Earth for the girl he loves--but will she ever forgive him? Reckless BELLAMY fought his way onto the transport pod to protect his sister, the other half of the only pair of siblings in the universe. And GLASS managed to escape back onto the ship, only to find that life there is just as dangerous as she feared it would be on Earth.
Confronted with a savage land and haunted by secrets from their pasts, the hundred must fight to survive. They were never meant to be heroes, but they may be mankind's last hope.
warning: this review contains spoilers for the television show 

So, after marathoning seasons two and three of The 100 television show in two days, I knew that I had to check out the book series. I had heard that they were really different than the television show, which is completely fine. I just wanted more of the characters to hold me over until season four released! Clarke was just like she was in the show. Extremely caring and a kind of leader. Except her parents were both killed, instead of just her father. Yeah, I didn't see that coming!


I really liked that Wells was actually alive in the book series. I had always wondered what the story would've been like if he hadn't died within the second episode of the television series! I'm not the biggest fan of him, mainly because it was his fault that Clarke's parents were floated, but it it creates an interesting storyline with him still alive and well. It's also really cool that he and Clarke actually had a relationship in the book. As in, they dated. I felt like Wells was kind of selfish at times too. He kept mentioning how everything he did was for Clarke to the point where it wasn't really romantic at all, just annoying and creepy.


Octavia is so young now! I'm not sure if I'm recalling correctly, but I'm pretty sure that she wasn't fourteen in the television show. She is in the book! It definitely makes the relationship between Bellamy and Octavia slightly different, but in an okay way. I was a little annoyed that it was randomly thrown in that Octavia has drug issues. She did pretty well at hiding it because when it was revealed, it seemed so out-of-place.


Glass is a really interesting character. She is absolutely nonexistent in the television show, so it's interesting learning about a new character that was meant to be there! I think that she's pretty great because she is still on the ship, thus showing the reader what is happening there. In the television show, we see through Jaha on the spaceship.


Bellamy is my favorite, though he's my favorite in the show too. It seems like Bellamy and Clarke might actually get together in the books! I'd be so happy if they did, because I've been rooting for it through the television show endlessly. The only thing that bothered me about the book version of Bellamy is that he really wasn't much of a leader. He basically just kept trying to help Octavia.



In the end, I really liked The 100 and I'm excited to continue on with the series!



Notable quotes:

That was the thing about secrets-you had to carry them with you forever, no matter what the cost.

You couldn't expect anyone else to share your suffering. You had to carry your pain alone.

You need to let yourself be happy. Or else, what's the point of anything?

10 comments:

  1. Great review! I love The 100 tv show and I quite liked the books too. The differences are huge, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to read this soon! I love the premise - it sounds so interesting! Plus, I'll kick myself if I start the TV show without reading the books first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I keep debating about these books. I did here that the two were super different, which doesn't bother me. But then I thought I heard something else that totally put me off from the books. I have the first three waiting to be read, possibly but I keep debating about reading them. Right now they're in my donation box, but I might try pulling them out. I don't know really! I just go back and forth! LOL! Glad to hear you enjoyed the first book though! Maybe I'll try squeezing that one in to see if I like the books and then decide from there! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually wasn't a huge fan of The 100 book, I found it a bit cheesy. I really like the TV show though - which is strange, because usually, I always prefer the book over its adaptation! Really glad you enjoyed it though, I'll be waiting for your thoughts on the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the first book from the series before the TV show came it, it was really interesting to see the all the changes that they made when adapting it... I feel like they've become really different stories by this point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, all of these gifs make me so happy. I adore the show! Although sad to say, the books didn't quite live up to my expectations. Maybe because I had watched so much of the show, but the books just didn't follow the storyline? I guess I was just expecting something completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The books are so different to the tv show, which is why I loved them so much. I don't lok at them as the same, but as like two different worlds co-existing. And I'm glad that the books aren't as complicated as the show.

    You'll love the rest of the books, and Bellamy was/is my fave too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't watched the show before, but I have read this book. I did like it, but I also thought it was pretty slow paced? I really liked getting to know all the different characters and how all of their individual plot lines came into play... but it did take a long time for much to happen. It did end on a cliffhanger though, so I hope to read the sequel soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book series. I have only watched the first season of the TV show, but there were definitely things from the book that I wished had been in the show. For instance, I wish the grounders were like they were in the book. And I wish that Glass and whatever her love interest's name was (it escapes me) were in it because I really loved their story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read the book series or watched the TV show, but I have always wanted to read the book! I have heard nothing but awesome things about both, honestly, but I think I would probably have to read the books before watching the show, if I ever do watch it. Super glad to hear that you enjoyed it and want to keep reading the series!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!