Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Everyday Magic by Emily Albright | Review

29894480Title: Everyday Magic
Author: Emily Albright
Release Date: December 2, 2016
Edition: Hardcover
Source: For Review
Publisher: Merit Press

For once, Maggie McKendrick just wants to control her own life. Her overbearing Hollywood director father has it all planned out for her: UCLA, law school, then working as an entertainment lawyer, preferably for him. But Maggie has other, more creative-spirit friendly, plans. Namely, Thrippletons School of Fashion and Design in England, and then onto becoming a designer, preferably a wildly successful one. The big snag in her plan? Getting it past her dad.
A movie shoot takes the family to the Scottish Highlands for the summer, and closer to Maggie's dream school. While there, she runs into the charming Preston Browne. Maggie is intrigued and decides to bend her no guys rule-instituted after her ex used her to get close to her dad. Forced to keep secrets from Preston in order to protect the future plans she's made, Maggie finds herself falling for the tall Brit. And for once in her life she knows that he's interested in her, not her Hollywood connections. When Maggie's father blackmails her into dating his lead actor, she isn't left with a choice. The biggest problem isn't having to date hunky, mega-hottie, Ben Chambers. No, it's praying she doesn't lose Preston in the process.
Excelling at her dream school, Maggie's personal life is a tangled mess. She needs to decide if living a lie is worth losing Preston or chance going against her father and facing his wrath. When the tabloids expose the truth of her fake relationship with Ben, Maggie's world is thrown into a tailspin. Ultimately, Maggie must find the courage to take risks and forge ahead on her own path.

**I received this book in exchange for an honest review!**

As soon as I heard that Emily Albright, the fantastic author behind one of my all-time favorite novels The Heir and the Spare, was writing another book, I knew that I was going to do anything to have the chance to read it. That's why I was so extremely excited when I was given the chance to review this lovely new novel of hers!

Everyday Magic follows a girl named Maggie whose father is a huge director in Hollywood. He kind of got famous overnight and ever since he has not been the same person. Her mother is a Director of Photography. She also has a brother named Marc who is a few years older than her. Maggie's family goes to Scotland for the summer in order to shoot her father's movie. In Scotland she meets a lovely British guy named Preston (who was in The Heir and the Spare!) and she and him start to hang out quite a bit. However, Maggie's father's leading actor, Ben, is starting to fall for Maggie too, and her father keeps pushing her into dating him and making him happy. 

I loved Everyday Magic! Maggie was a fierce character. She changed a lot throughout the book, which I really loved to see. She was struggling a lot with garnering up the courage to tell her father where she wants to go to College and also just standing up to her father in general in order to make herself happy. I also thought it was awesome that Maggie wanted to go into fashion design. When I was younger, that was definitely something that I wanted to do, so I find her incredibly relatable in that aspect. It was awesome to see more of Preston again. He was Edmund's best friend in The Heir and the Spare. I loved seeing him slowly fall for someone like Maggie. 

Compared to The Heir and the Spare, this novel went into a little bit of darker substances with the abusive relationship of Maggie's father. He was a huge bully to everyone in the family and they just hid it because of how popular and famous he was. He had so much money and respect in Hollywood that it would have been difficult to do anything, but the whole family is slowly learning to stand up to the father to do something about it. 

I also really liked that this book took place in Scotland. I have never actually read that many books that take place there, so it was awesome reading about such a lovely country. 

I was extremely impressed with Everyday Magic. I don't think that you have to read The Heir and the Spare first, because the two novels are companions, so even if you haven't read that one, I highly suggest checking out Everyday Magic today!


6 comments:

  1. Woo, I'm happy you enjoyed it, especially since you really liked The Heir and The Spare! It's always nice to read another book by the same author and still enjoy it! :D
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, glad to hear that you enjoyed this one! The Heir and the Spare was one of my favorite books, so when I heard this one was coming out I was super excited to read it! Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the chance to pick it up yet, but your review makes it sound just as promising as the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I see I definitely need to grab up this one. I especially love Scotland as a setting, and I like that this book has some tough and grit aspects to it. Great review. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this book before but I really want to read it now, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh, I hadn't really heard of this book or The Heir and the Spare but now I feel like I most definitely need to check them out. This one sounds really good because I love books set somewhere different and Scotland is most definitely that. I can only think of a couple of books set there and really they tend to fall into the trap of stereotypes. Great review, you've managed to convince me to give it a chance anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For the longest time I didn't realise this book was a sequel to Heir and a Square because the covers are both so different! But through reviews I realised my mistake. I am glad you could like this book so much and that Emily was such a fierce and interesting character to read about!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!