Friday, October 21, 2016

Glitter by Aprilynne Pike | Review

24033058Title: Glitter
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Release Date: October 25, 2016
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Edition: eARC
Source: Netgalley

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Aprilynne Pike comes a truly original new novel-Breaking Bad meets Marie Antoinette in a near-future world where the residents of Versailles live like it's the eighteenth century and an almost-queen turns to drug dealing to save her own life.
Outside the palace of Versailles, it's modern day. Inside, the people dress, eat, and act like it's the eighteenth century-with the added bonus of technology to make the court life lavish, privileged, and frivolous. The palace has every indulgence, but for one pretty young thing, it's about to become a very beautiful prison.
When Danica witness an act of murder by the young king, her mother makes a cruel power play... blackmailing the king into making Dani his queen. When she turns eighteen, Dani will marry the most ruthless and dangerous man of the court. She has six months to escape her terrifying destiny. Six months to raise enough money to disappear into the real world beyond the palace gates.
Her ticket out? Glitter. A drug so powerful that a tiny pinch mixed into a pot of rouge or lip gloss can make the wearer hopelessly addicted. Addicted to a drug Dani can sell for more money thanks he ever dreamed.
But in Versailles, secrets are impossible to keep. And the most dangerous secret-falling for a drug dealer outsider the palace walls-is one risk she has to take.

**Thanks so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

 Glitter by Aprilynne Pike originally caught my eye because of the idea that it takes place in an eighteenth-century castle yet it's also in the future. How awesome is that!?!

The setting is seriously amazing. I know I just mentioned it, but seriously, I need to say more about it. Basically the castle of Versailles is where the royals live in the future, yet everyone inside the castle acts and dresses like it's the eighteenth-century. That whole idea literally just blows my mind because it's genius. How has no author thought of this before?! 

There's so much intrigue around every single corner. There's all this mystery about how Dani ended up being the betrothed of the king and then there's also all this mystery surrounding why Dani wants to leave the castle so badly. Also, her mother is just so interesting. I always thought there was something up with her. 

I've never watched Breaking Bad, but I definitely get the reference. Dani decides to sell a drug called Glitter that her father is hooked on so that she can get facial surgery in order to leave Versailles once and for all. She never wanted the life that she's living now. Honestly, it kind of makes me want to watch Breaking Bad. 

Did I mention that there's futuristic technology in this world? It's pretty awesome. I don't want to get too into it because I kind of want you to explore these gadgets yourself through reading.

If you couldn't tell already, I loved Glitter. I can't wait for more!


17 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! It looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so amazing! I never hear of any books set in Versailles. I'm so interested in reading it - I've loved Aprillyne Pike's previous books, and the concept sounds great ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this sounds so interesting! And that COVER - so pretty! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad this was a hit with you! I was on the fence about picking it up because I didn't totally love the Wings series by Pike but the cover and the synopsis for this one really intrigued me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so much buzz about Glitter! Is it part of a series? The setting sounds so cool. I might read it for that reason only! Plus, I love Breaking Bad! I'm so glad to hear you loved it. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm SO glad you loved it as much as I did! It really surprised me because I haven't loved a book like this by the author since the Wings series. So yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to have visited your blog and have encountered this book. Thank you! I am picking this as my next read. Anyway, is this in series?

    Yani // Paper Boulevard

    ReplyDelete



  8. Thank You for such amazing information. This is one of the best sites which provide all the details of related topics.
    Examhelpline.in

    ReplyDelete

  9. Thanks for sharing such great information. This is one of the best sites which provide all the details of relevance to topics.
    careinfo.in

    ReplyDelete



  10. Thank you for giving us such kind of information. This is one of the best sites having all the informatics details.
    carebaba.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed glitter it was a great change of pace for a historical spin on a modern world. I suggest you take a spin in this world.

    Kevin Elwood

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for such kind of best details. Really this is very amazing information.
    Examhelpline.in

    ReplyDelete
  13. On April 17th, 2017 there will be announces TS Junior Intermediate Result 2017. Students can check and download TS Junior Intermediate Result 2017 here also.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!