Thursday, September 15, 2016

The Light Fantastic by Sarah Combs | Review

28814848Title: The Light Fantastic
Author: Sarah Combs
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Release Date: September 13, 2016
Source: Publisher

Seven tightly interwoven narratives. Three harrowing hours. One fateful day that changes everything. 
Delaware, the morning of April 19. Senior Skip Day, and April Donovan's eighteenth birthday. Four days after the Boston Marathon bombing, the country is still reeling, and April's rare memory condition has her recounting all the tragedies that have cursed her birth month. And just what was that mysterious gathering under the bleachers about? Meanwhile, in Nebraska, Lincoln Evans struggles to pay attention in Honors English, distracted by the enigmatic presence of Laura Echols, capturer of his heart. His teacher tries to hold her class's interest, but she can't keep her mind off what Adrian George told her earlier. Over in Idaho, Phoebe is having second thoughts about the Plan mere hours before the start of a cross-country ploy led by an Internet savant known as the Mastermind. Is all her heartache worth the cost of the Assassin's machinations? The Light Fantastic is a tense, shocking, and beautifully wrought exploration of the pain and pathos of a generation of teenagers not he brink-and the hope of moving from shame and isolation into the light of redemption.

**Thanks so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!** 

I don't know about you, but I'm a huge fan of novels with multiple perspectives. That's a big part of why I chose to give The Light Fantastic a read.

So I know that the summary doesn't really give away much, so I really went into this novel not knowing what to expect. In the end, I was completely blown away.

This story is basically about a bunch of people who're part of an online society that's involved with school shootings. The main mission of this online group, called the "Assassins". They basically plan out school shootings for revenge and many other reasons. A lot of people online would drop out and decide not to participate. I think that this whole idea was very interesting because it goes to show that just because someone seems okay on the outside, they could be having much darker thoughts on the inside. Because of this, I think that this novel may be better for a maturer audience.

The whole story takes place within three hours. I don't know why, but novels like that are always so intriguing. It's like watching a movie.

It featured pretty interesting characters, such as April and the Mastermind. April actually has a perfect memory. As soon as the reader is introduced to her, she's spewing out all of these facts about what happened in April in the past. I never knew that April could honestly be such a dark month! The Mastermind was behind the Assassins online and you never found out who the Mastermind was until towards the end, which was pretty intense. 

The fact that there were multiple characters all in different locations made for a very interesting read. I loved that there were characters from different places because it was like jumping from scene to scene which was pretty interesting to read about. 

The Light Fantastic was an enjoyable read with a pretty dark and intense premise. I know it's a book you'll want to check out.


6 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, this books so interesting! I'll have to add it to my TBR. Not only is the cover gorgeous but the story itself sounds super cool! The thing that captured me attention the most was the Boston Marathon Bombing. You don't here too much about that anymore. Lovely review. (:

    Amber @ bibliomaniacbibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this book on Goodreads, but I didn’t know what it was about. It sounds awesome. I think I’ll be adding it to my TBR.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked this!! I love books like this and I was SUPER happy when I read it and it exceeded my expectations. I hope everyone reads your review and decides to give it shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently came across this book and thought it sounded really good! I like books with multiple points of view, so I'm pretty excited to read this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw a description of this one recently and thought it sounded great! When multiple POVs are done right, I love them and this one sounds like it just works! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm quite interested to see how a book that takes place over a three hour period reads. I've never read anything like that, I don't think!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!