Friday, September 2, 2016

The Leaving by Tara Altebrando | Review

26073074Title: The Leaving
Author: Tara Altebrando
Release Date: June 7, 2016
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Edition: earc
Source: Netgalley

Six were taken. Eleven years later, five come back--with no idea of where they've been.
Eleven years ago, six kindergarteners went missing without a trace. After all that time, the people left behind moved on, or tried to.
Until today. Today five of those kids return. They're sixteen, and they are... fine. Scarlett comes home and finds a mom she barely recognizes, and doesn't really recognize the person she's supposed to be, either. But she thinks she remembers Lucas. Lucas remembers Scarlett too, except they're entirely unable to recall where they've been or what happened to them. Neither of them remember the sixth victim, Max. He doesn't come back. Everyone wants answers. Most of all Max's sister Avery, who needs to find her brother--dead or alive--and isn't buying this whole memory-loss story.

**Thanks so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

Have you ever read something and felt like you'd read it or experienced it before? That's how I felt when I read The Leaving by Tara Altebrando.

I absolutely loved the whole concept. Six kids go missing at a very young age, yet only five of them return eleven years older. What could get more mysterious than that? Exactly. NOTHING.

Despite loving the concept, upon reading the novel, I felt like it had been done before. I recently watched a show on Netflix called "The Returned" and the concept was kind of similar. Perhaps that's what detracted from my overall enjoyment of this novel. I'm not the biggest fan of experiencing something that's already been experienced by me at an earlier time, unless I loved it the first time. 

There were a lot of characters which got a bit confusing at times. For some reason, the only character that really stuck with me was Lucas. It was hard to keep track of all the kids that went missing and their stories. However, there were only three points of view.

Despite all this, I know that I'll be checking out Tara's next novel. This one may not have lived up to my expectations, but the issue was personal. If the premise sounds interesting to you, definitely check it out!


2 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm also not a fan of experiencing something so similar to something I've already experienced...it can ruin the fun. I think that's why I don't read many dystopian novels anymore - they all started to remind me of the same things, over and over again. This definitely does sound interesting, and I've noticed that this book has gotten tons of attention, so it's on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this one wasn't that great for you. I really enjoyed it, but I can understand your issues. I hope your next read is much better for you!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!