Sunday, September 4, 2016

Meet Joyce! | Blogger Interviews

Hey guys! Today on blogger interviews I'm featuring Joyce from Completely Booked! 

------

Let's get on with the questions!

1. What's your favorite book and why? What song would you use to capture the essence of your favorite book?
My favorite book is Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus. I love the different characters and how their threads all come together, plus the twists and turns the novel takes you through are some of my favorite from any book. Not to mention the fact that I love description and Erin Morgenstern masterfully describes every aspect of The Night Circus, so much so that you eagerly spend all of the time afterwards waiting for an invitation. I think the song I most associate with The Night Circus is either something classical, or more specifically (and also very strangely), “Notes in Constellations” by Chiodos. It is all I listened to while I read the book so it has a strange association for reasons that I can’t precisely put a finger on. 

 2. What is your dream career?
My dream career is something that has to do with books. I want to be a writer. I want to continue to write about books. A few weeks ago, I participated in the #RBWL tag and looking at everything in the #OwnVoices tag, I would also like to do something that would allow me to help put books into the world, be it a librarian, a publisher, an editor, an agent, etc. I want to, one day, open up a bookstore myself with a little cafĂ© and everything. Maybe a bar. I have lots of dreams and they’ve almost always been book related. Books are something that I’m very passionate about.

3. Where do you want to travel to?
I have a lot of places on my travel bucket list, mostly because I’ve never really gone anywhere. I’m from California and I’ve lived there my whole life but I’ve never even been to San Francisco. I go to school in Massachusetts and I’ve never been to Boston. I really want to explore. My top three destinations right now are The UK, Japan and Prague, which is more specific than the other two but I really want to visit the city one day.

4. If you could have your own friend squad made up of book characters, which characters would you choose to be part of the squad?
My literary #squadgoals probably include Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bone, every member of the team in Six of Crows, but mostly Inej, and, Weetzie Bat from The Weetzie Bat books. There are probably more but I’m really behind in books I should be reading, especially in YA, so I’m trying to play catch-up. I’m sure this will change later.

5. What's your favorite TV show? Movie?
Right now, my favorite show on TV is Preacher on AMC. It has one of the best examples of a strong but flawed female character and they made her black, which is incredibly important to me. My favorite movie is probably Kiki’s Delivery Service. I mean, I love any and all things Studio Ghibli, but that’s my favorite.

6. You finally got your invite to Hogwarts! Which house do you get sorted into and who do you befriend?
Umm, the Sorting Hat quiz on Pottermore has sorted me into Ravenclaw and Slytherin, but Slytherin was more recent. I’d want to befriend Fred and George, but the books seem to have a strict anti-Slytherin policy, so I don’t think they’d be too partial to Slytherins. I guess I’d just spend most of my time reading by myself?

7. What song do you wish could be turned into a novel?
 If I could turn any song into a novel, it would be “Iron” by Woodkid. I don’t know why but I could see a lot you could do with that one. It’s more mood than anything else so it gives you a lot of options for types of stories. If I had to pick something more narrative based, I think I’d pick “Woman King” by Iron and Wine. I’d vote for BeyoncĂ©’s Lemonade but that’s more of a visual story. 

8. Which TV series or movie do you wish could be continued through a book series? 
Okay, so don’t think I’m weird but I would love it if Daria was a book. I think the humor would work really well and be relatable to a subset of people. But since they’re doing superhero YA novels, I’d also like to see a YA Agent Carter series, since they cancelled the TV series and all. I want to see what Peggy was up to in the MCU with Steve gone.

9. What book do you wish had a sequel?
I really wish that The Night Circus had a sequel because I’d love to return to that world. I think there’s more story left to tell, I mean, the universe is so vast. I would also like a sequel to certain parts of Helen Oyeyemi’s What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours because I have a lot of unanswered questions. 

10. Why do you love books?
Books, quite literally, have saved my life. I turn to them when things get tough and they’ve taught me a lot about people and about myself. When I felt like I needed to give up and that there was nothing left, books showed me that I was not alone and I have needed that more times in my life than I’d like to admit. They are entertainment, but they are my lifeline. I don’t know what I’d do without them. They give me comfort and security and though some decisions are questionable, I love them. They’re like music: there is a book for everyone, for every mood. I believe in bibliotherapy and books are my therapy.

Joyce's Links:
-------

Thanks so much for stopping by and answering the questions Joyce!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joyce! I've actually seen you around the Book Blogosphere through some of the weekly memes (#WoW). You've definitely made me want to move The Night Circus up my TBR list!

    Krystianna - thanks for the awesome features!

    Hope everyone has a great end of the week and upcoming weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!