Wednesday, September 7, 2016

It Looks Like This by Rafi Mittlefehldt | Review

24755394Title: It Looks Like This
Author: Rafi Mittlefehldt
Release Date: September 6, 2016
Publisher: Candlewick
Genre: Contemporary


A new state, a new city, a new high school. Mike's father has already found a new evangelical church for the family to attend, even if Mike and his plainspoken little sister, Toby, don't want to go. Dad wants Mike to ditch art for sports, to toughen up, but there's something uneasy behind his demands.
Then Mike meets Sean, the new kid, and "hey" becomes games of basketball, partnering on a French project, hanging out after school. A night at the beach. The fierce colors of sunrise. But Mike's father is always watching. And so is Victor from school, cell phone in hand.

**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read and review this book!**

I was really excited to finally start reading It Looks Like This. Sadly, at the end, I was a little disappointed. 

I really loved the beginning of the novel. It starts with this really short two page chapter that immediately gives you the feeling that something went down. Mike is remembering something of the past even though he basically says that he lives in a world of darkness now. 

The lack of quotation marks really got to me. Sometimes having no quotation marks just adds to the overall story, but I honestly felt like it didn't in this situation. I get that the whole story was him looking back on things that already happened, so I guess that quotations weren't really necessary, but, for me at least, I wish there were quotation marks. Sometimes it was hard to tell between inner commentary and actual conversations because of the lack of quotes. 

I did like that it was LGBT. YA can never have enough of this genre in my opinion. 

I loved how well-written the characters were. Especially Toby, Mike's little sister. She was pretty funny at times. 

It Looks Like This was a great addition to the YA LGBT universe, though the lack of quotes got to me at times. If you can overlook that, then I really think you'll enjoy this novel.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an engaging read. I'm going to check out the kindle sample if it's out now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few books that didn't have quotations marks and they were often confusing. What an odd choice for an author to make. I might choose this for my LGBT Monday feature, but I'll keep my expectations in check. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I loved Toby too but had a few problems with the writing and how simple it was. I noticed the lack of quotation marks too and a lot of telling not showing but it was still such a heartbreaking read!

    my review

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!