Monday, August 1, 2016

Whisper to Me by Nick Lake | Review

26030238Title: Whisper to Me
Author: Nick Lake
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Release Date: May 3, 2016
Source: Netgalley
Genre: Contemporary

Cassie is writing a letter to the boy whose heart she broke. She's trying to explain why. Why she pushed him away. Why her father got so angry when he saw them together. Why she disappears some nights. Why she won't let herself remember what happened that long-ago night on the boardwalk. Why she fell apart so completely.
Desperate for his forgiveness, she's telling the whole story of the summer she nearly lost herself. She's hoping he'll understand as well as she now does how love-love for your family, love for that person who makes your heart beat faster, and love for yourself-can save you after all.

**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I have always wanted to pick up a novel by Nick Lake, so I knew that as soon as I saw Whisper to Me it was one that I just had to read. I'm so glad that I did! Whisper to Me is about mental illness, specifically a girl named Cass who hears voices. The entire book is basically an email to this boy whose heart she broke, which I found so incredibly awesome. It's such a clever writing style for a novel.

Think of this as the most screwed-up love letter ever.

My favorite thing about this book was actually the main protagonist, Cass. She was very hilarious even though she was always hearing voices. However, I felt bad a lot of times for her too, especially at the very beginning. What she was going through was extremely tough. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to always be listening to a little voice in your head that you can't control at all. I also really loved Nick Lake's writing style. It was very lyrical and just pleasing to my mind. I know for sure that I'm going to want to check out everything else written by Nick Lake. I also liked that this novel touched upon mental illness. YA will never have enough books about this serious subject.

Despite the fact that I loved so many things, one thing in particular somewhat annoyed me. Asterisks were used instead of swear words, though I feel like actually including the swear words would've added to the overall story. However, using the asterisks did make the book more okay for younger audiences, so I guess it has its pros and cons. Overall, Whisper to Me was a very unique read that was written beautifully.


6 comments:

  1. Okay the swear word thing is weird. If you're not going to spell out the words then why use them at all? Sounds wonderful otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before this review I'd never heard of Whisper to Me before, so I'll have to add it to my TBR! The letter concept kind of reminds me of the To All the Boys I've Loved Before series by Jenny Han, although the asterisks, writing style, and addressing of mental illness definitely set the two apart. I love the cover of this book as well, I could see myself buying this on a whim. Lovely review!

    Claire @ Cover to Cover

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asterisks bug the crap out of me! But this is the first I am hearing about this one, and it sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember first being interested in this book because the pretty cover, but I'm glad to know it's a great book too. The letter format sounds really interesting, and it sounds like a very good read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using asterisks...I don't see anything wrong with it. It does make it suitable for younger audience as the older ones already can see the meaning behind those little stars.
    An email? It reminds me of Love, Rosie, which was like a compilation of messages between the characters. Or Dracula, haha (I nearly dnf'd that one, pushed it aside for another time). I love unique-written books. I think I'll check it out.
    xTiara
    http://awaveofvellichor.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!