Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Top Ten Books With a Historical Setting!


Okay, so for some reason I have been craving historical fiction novels so I thought I'd use this weeks Top Ten Tuesday to recommend some of my favorite historical setting novels to you guys!

251368101944854329890100
'89 Walls by Katie Pierson // Okay, so it's sad that I have to count this one as historical fiction in order to actually have 10 novels for this week's top ten. However, it kind of is historical fiction to me because I wasn't alive in the '80's! Anyway, this one was a surprise for me when I read it. I requested it on Netgalley because of the beautiful cover and honestly it was pretty good.

Lumiere by Jacqueline E. Garlick // This is another one that I just requested on Netgalley on a whim. It was extremely surprising! It was steampunk and magic kind of mixed together and well... it was great.

Paper Girls // Wow, yet another Netgalley one! I really need to work on buying some historical fiction novels to read for myself rather than read through requesting. This one was a graphic novel that took place on Halloween in the '80's. It was so awesome and the artwork was amazing.

36822202059222900446
A Great and Terrible Beauty // I picked this one up from the library way back when I first started my blog (4 years ago... HOLY COW) and it was very surprising. I had just read Libba Bray's Beauty Queens and I absolutely fell in love with it, so I picked this one up because it was written by her too. It was really enjoyable and I remember loving the historical elements.

A Tyranny of Petticoats edited by Jessica Spotswood // I got this one through Netgalley as well! I loved it because it was an anthology of historical fiction so each short story was about 30 pages rather than a full blown historical novel.

An Uncertain Choice by Jody Hedlund // This one was kind of renaissance and medieval era because it was all about princes and princesses. Just like every other girl, I'm a sucker for novels like these.

54219782496951710966190
Distant Waves by Suzanne Weyn // Guys, this is one that I picked up way back in elementary school, like fifth grade. I seriously adored it because it was all about the Titanic. I think I actually took the copy from school by accident and that's the one that is still on my shelf today. I remember loving it so much that I made my mother and my aunt read it too and I have read it countless times since.

The Yearbook by Carol Masciola // This one was actually a pretty recent release! It was very interesting because it was also time travel as the main character found a yearbook that kind of brought her back into the '20's at her school.

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly // Honestly, this is probably one of my favorite historical YA novels of all time. I don't own my own copy though which really sucks. I should probably buy one soon.

4671
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald // I don't know if I've told you this, but The Great Gatsby is my favorite classic novel. That's saying a lot because the only other classics that I've liked were Of Mice and Men and Frankenstein. But yeah, 1920's, Jay Gatsby, what more is there to say??

What are some of your favorite books with historical settings? Recommend me some of your favorites down below!!

9 comments:

  1. Papergirls and A Great and Terrible Beauty are on my TBR. I can't wait to get to them. Lumiere looks good too. Historical Fiction I Would Recommend: I liked Forbidden by Kimberley Griffiths Little and The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoh nice! Those are all new to me ones! Except for Gatsby which I read in school years ago!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 89 Walls does have a nice cover, and Lumiere's cover is amazing. Paper Girls sounds fun because Halloween and the 80's lol, how could it not be good? Revolution looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read A Great and Terrible Beauty. It always looked interesting. Didn't Lumber have a different cover originally, or am I thinking of another book? this cover is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently bought Paper Girls! This makes me even more excited to read it. :) I remember really enjoying A Great and Terrible Beauty, but I never picked up the sequel. I haven't heard of '89 Walls, but the cover draws me in! Great picks Krystianna! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lumiere has been on my list to read for a while. Such a pretty cover (I do judge some books by their cover).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Gatsby was one of the only books I read in high school that I actually enjoyed. I have been meaning to get to Libby Bray and Lumiere though glad your whim payed off there! http://functioninginsanity.blogspot.com/2016/08/top-ten-tuesday-books-set-in-boarding.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only own two of these. Not a big history fiction person, though I really enjoy history itself. Ironic?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you included Paper Girls. For some reason I wouldn't even think of comics for a list like this, but now I know better!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!