Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller | Review

14744489Title: The Summer I Became a Nerd
Author: Leah Rae Miller
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Source: Publisher/Netgalley
Source: ebook

On the outside, seventeen-year-old Madelyne Summers looks like your typical blond cheerleader-perky, popular, and dating the star quarterback. But inside, Maddie spends more time agonizing over what will happen in the next issue of her favorite comic book than planning pep rallies with her squad. That she's a nerd hiding in a popular girl's body isn't just unknown, it's anti-known. And she needs to keep it that way.
Summer is the only time Maddie lets her real self out to play, but when she slips up and the adorkable guy behind the local comic shop's counter uncovers her secret, she's busted. Before she can shake a pop-pop, Maddie's whisked into Logan's world of comic conventions, live-action role-playing, and first-person-shooter video games. And she loves it. But the more she denies who she really is, the deeper her lies become... and the more she risks losing Logan forever.

**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I don't know about you, but I'm a huge nerd. I think that's what initially drew me into The Summer I Became A Nerd.

Since I'm a huge nerd, I automatically related to Maddie. She's a huge comic book nerd and it's pretty awesome. I wish that I read more comics, but I'm a huge fan of graphic novels and everything that has to do with superheroes and super villains. 

Logan was so incredibly sweet. He even does LARP! For those of you who don't know what LARP is, it's Live Action Role Playing. I've never actually participated in it, mainly because there's nowhere near me that does it, but I'd love to do it one day. I'm such a geek, I know. But Logan actually works at a comic book shop that his family owns. How cool is that!? 

This book just made me want to go out and start reading more comic books. It also made me want to always remember to be myself. I honestly don't read comic books, mainly because I feel like I'd read through them so quickly and then I'd have to go spend more money to go buy the rest of the comics in the series, ya know? However, I want to check them out even more now. Maddie spent a lot of the novel trying to hide who she really was (a nerd, of course) from all of her real friends. However, she really came into her own and started to realize that she needs to be herself. It just reminded me that I should always do that too!

The Summer I Became a Nerd was a super unique summer read filled with so much nerding. I really liked it, but it wasn't a stand-out novel for me.


4 comments:

  1. Great review. I read this book a few years back as it sounded like such a cute and fun read and I really enjoyed it. It's just a fun read. It does show you should just be yourself and enjoy yourself rather than worrying about others and it most definitely makes you want to invest in some comics. I also know there's another book by the author I want to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely a nerd. I have the glasses and everything. I've had this book on my TBR for years, but I've never gotten around to reading it. It sounds cute, and I love the comic book obsession. I don't read many (any) comics, but my kids love them. I know there are some good ones for adults, but I don't even know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like this is a perfect summer read! I think I get what you mean by, it's good but not a standout read - and to be honest, that sounds like the kind of book I'd love to chill out by the beach with, you know? Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adored this one when I read it a few years ago. It's so light and cute, and just so geeky and adorable. I loved Logan too! And the LARP storyline was brilliant. I haven't read another book that center's around that, so it was pretty interesting.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!