Monday, August 22, 2016

The Memory Book by Lara Avery | Review

27415405Title: The Memory Book
Author: Lara Avery
Publisher: Poppy
Release Date: July 5, 2016
Source: Netgalley
Edition: earc
They tell me that my memory will never be the same, that I'll start forgetting things. At first just a little, and then a lot. So I'm writing to remember.
Sammie was always a girl with a plan: graduate at the top of her class and get out of her small town as soon as humanly possible. Nothing will stand in her way--not even a rare genetic disorder the doctors say will slowly start to steal her memories and then her health. What she needs is a new plan.
So the Memory Book is born: Sammie's notes to her future self, a document of moments great and small. It's where she'll record every perfect detail of her first date with longtime crush, Stuart--a brilliant young writer who is home for the summer. And where she'll admit how much she's missed her childhood best friend, Cooper, and even take some of the blame for the fight that ended their friendship.
Through a mix of heartfelt journal entries, mementos, and guest posts from friends and family, readers will fall in love with Sammie, a brave and remarkable girl who learns to live and love life fully, even though it's not the life she planned.

**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

 I had pretty high hopes after reading and enjoying A Million Miles Away which was Lara Avery's last YA novel. However, I found this one to fall a little bit short.

I really liked the whole concept. I haven't really read any memory loss novels, so it was very interesting to get into the head of someone who was honestly losing her memory. That has to be so heartbreaking to know that it's happening but also there's nothing that can be done about it. 

I also really liked Sammie. I couldn't help but like her, not only because of what she was going through, but because of what kind of person she is. Somehow, she even managed to have humor while writing to her future self who couldn't remember anything. 

Sammie had dreams of going to college and was honestly so headstrong. Because of that, I could relate to her. I just had my senior year of high school so I honestly know what it's like to work so hard for so long. All you really want is for all of your hard work to pay off.

Sammie was a nerd. So yes, I can relate to her even more, as can pretty much every other book lover.

Stuart was so amazing and the romance was pretty interesting. He basically has dreams of being a writer, so yet again, he's like going to be the #1 crush for everyone who reads this book. Plus, Sammie had a crush on him for years and Stuart didn't even know it, so it was great to see that kind of all unravel through Avery's writing.

Despite the fact that I liked all of that, there were some things that kind of pushed me away from utterly loving this book. For instance, there was a love triangle. I used to be a fan of love triangles, and honestly I still am sometimes, but I only really think that love triangles are okay in series. That way the characters are way more developed so it makes more sense for them to kind of have difficulties choosing who they want to be with. But in a normal novel? I'm not the biggest fan. 

So, there were obviously way more likes than dislikes, which is why I'm giving this novel 3 stars. I'll probably still check out Lara Avery's next novel.


3 comments:

  1. This book sounds pretty amazing and I adore the cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so badly want to read this, the characters sound amazing! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love triangles...yuck. I haven't read this one yet, although I do have an ARC of it on my shelf. I read Lara Avery's "A Million Miles Away" and wasn't too fond of it, so I've been putting off reading this book. It does sound really emotional though!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!