Friday, August 26, 2016

The May Queen Murders by Sarah Jude | Review

25897757Title: The Mayqueen Murders
Author: Sarah Jude
Release Date: May 3, 2016
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Source: Netgalley

Stay on the roads. Don't enter the woods. Never go out at night.
Those are the rules in Rowan's Glen, a remote farming community in the Missouri Ozarks where Ivy Templeton's family has lived for centuries. It's an old-fashioned way of life, full of superstition and traditions, and sixteen-year-old Ivy loves it. The other kids at school may think the Glen kids are weird, but Ivy doesn't care-she has her cousin Heather as her best friend. the two girl share everything with each other-or so Ivy thinks. When Heather goes missing after a May Day celebration, Ivy discovers that both her best friend and her beloved hometown are as full of secrets as the woods that surround them.





**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I was extremely looking forward to reading The May Queen Murders, but for some reason I didn't enjoy it all that much. The story follows a girl named Ivy who lives in a town that has been haunted by murders in the past right after a young girl was named the May Queen. Years later, the town decides to host the May Day celebration again and this time, Ivy's closest friend Heather is crowned only for her to disappear soon after.

Let me start this review off by saying that some scenes in this novel were extremely macabre. They were very graphic and violet at times with what happened to the different animals and people, so you definitely have to be able to bear reading that stuff in order to get through this book.

What I liked:
  • The town. There was just something so interesting about the small town that Ivy lived in. It was completely different than any other town that I've read about. They were very old school and were judged by other towns nearby because of how different they all were.
  • The town's history. The town itself had gone through so much darkness in the past. I loved learning more about it throughout the novel.
  • Rook. I don't know why, but he was honestly my favorite character. I liked him even more than the main protagonist. 
  • The scariness level. This book got so dark and I honestly loved that.
What I didn't like:
  • The prologue. I still don't understand why there was one, to be honest. Even though it was one of my favorite parts of the book, I feel like it didn't need to have one.
  • The pacing. I felt like things happened pretty slow at times, which was a little bothersome. I actually found myself skimming a bit at the parts where nothing was really happening. 
  • The explosion at the end. Okay, so there wasn't a literal explosion, but I felt like so much suddenly happened at the end! 
I think that if you like thrillers with a twist that are extremely macabre then this is a book for you!


5 comments:

  1. Ooh nice! I STILL need to read this one! I was intrigued with the thriller idea and plus the author is semi-local so I felt the need to try it out! I still need to try it out though! LOL! Glad to see you liked it for the most part even if it wasn't perfect! Recall reading a lot of that in past reviews. Nice review overall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting! I might pick this up because of "the scariness level." :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer!! Most of the reviews I've seen were people that felt it didn't live up to expectations :( I really really wanted to read it and now I'm like-- MEH. I still think I'll give it a shot, but at least I'll be prepared. Great review, I love the way you made the setting sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. The synopsis makes it sound like it has so much potential!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you didn't enjoy this one as much as you were expecting. Sadly, I've seen a lot of reviews that say the same. I was really looking forward to this one, but I'm worried it will be a letdown. I may borrow it from the library sometime. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!