Saturday, August 13, 2016

Paper or Plastic by Vivi Barnes | Review

22313668Title: Paper or Plastic
Author: Vivi Barnes
Release Date: February 3, 2015
Publisher: Entangled: Teen
Source: Netgalley/Publisher
Edition: eARC

Welcome to SmartMart, where crime pays minimum wage...
Busted. Alexis Dubois just got caught shoplifting a cheap tube of lipstick at the local SmartMart. She doesn't know what's worse-disappointing her overbearing beauty-pageant-obsessed mother for the zillionth time... or her punishment. Because Lex is forced to spend her summer working at the store, where the only things stranger than the staff are the customers. 
Now Lex is stuck in the bizarro world of big-box retail. Coupon cutters, jerk customers, and learning exactly what a "Code B" really is (ew). And for added awkwardness, her new supervisor is the totally cute-and adorably geeky-Noah Grayson. Trying to balance her out-of-control mother, her pitching position on the softball team, and her secret crush on the school geek makes for one crazy summer. But ultimately, could the worst job in the world be the best thing that ever happened to her?

**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

There's just something about reading a contemporary in summer. I think that's why I was so pumped to read Paper or Plastic!

The story basically follows a girl named Alexis who recently tried to steal from SmartMart. She ends up getting told that she can work at SmartMart for the summer in order to make up for it and she'd even get paid. This way, it won't show up on her permanent record. Her mom is so enthusiastic about this opportunity and has Alexis take advantage of it. However, Alexis doesn't really want to be caught dead at SmartMart. Alas, she takes the job anyways. At her job, she ends up meeting Noah, who is a grade above her at school and just happens to be so cute. The two of them get closer as the summer goes on.

I thought that the romance was very cute and believable. Alexis liked to think that she was too good for SmartMart a lot of the time, but Noah showed her that working there was really a good opportunity. Plus, she gets to make a little extra money, which is never a bad thing. 

I found the reason behind why Alexis was offered a job at SmartMart to be really touching. I don't know why, but this stuck with me throughout the book! The owner's son was actually caught stealing somewhere once and he didn't get the chance to redeem himself, so the owner thought that Alexis deserved a second chance, which is why she was offered the job in the first place.

I loved Alexis's character growth and development. She started out as someone who thought that SmartMart was a place for nobodies to work; people that were going nowhere in life. However, that slowly changed as the novel went on. 

In the end, I really liked this book. It was a cute, quick read and I loved the romance! 



4 comments:

  1. Yeah, there's definitely just something about reading contemporary in the summer! Maybe it's because summer is summer - just being laidback, etc.? And contemporary is easier to read than fantasy? Or maybe that's just me :')
    Paper or Plastic sounds like such a great contemporary though - I love any contemporary where there is good character growth (because I reckon characters are the heart and soul of any contemporary book!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this last year and I really enjoyed it - a very cute story! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this around and it sounds ridiculously cute and up my alley. Now, I just need to get my hands on it. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Rachelle @ Shell's Stories

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this last year, but I haven't read it yet! It sounds like such a fun, quirky read that is all fluffy and cute and a great summer read!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!