Monday, August 8, 2016

How to Hang a Witch by Adriana Mather | Tour

23546602Title: How to Hang a Witch
Author: Adriana Mather
Release Date: July 26, 2016
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Knopf/Random House

Salem, Massachusetts is the site of the infamous witch trials and the new home of Samantha Mather. Recently transplanted from New York City, Sam and her stepmother are not exactly welcomed with open arms. Sam is the descendant of Cotton Mather, one of the men responsible for those trials and immediately, she becomes the enemy of a group of girls who call themselves The Descendants. And guess who their ancestors were?
If dealing with that weren't enough, Sam also comes face to face with a real life (well technically dead) ghost. A handsome, angry ghost who wants Sam to stop touching his stuff. But soon Sam discovers she is at the center of a centuries old curse affecting anyone with ties to the trials.
Sam must come to terms with the ghost and find a way to work with the Descendants to stop a deadly cycle that has been going on since the first accused witch was hanged. If any town should have learned its lesson, it's Salem. But history is about to repeat itself. 




**Thank you to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I recently visited Salem, Massachusetts so I knew that I had to give How to Hang a Witch a try. Before I go into details about the novel, I thought that I'd give some background knowledge about the author, because it honestly adds so much more meaning to the story itself. Adriana Mather is actually a descendant of Cotton Mather, just like the main character of How to Hang a Witch. She visited Salem and then wrote her novel afterwards. 

How to Hang a Witch follows Samantha Mather who has descended from Cotton Mather. Her father recently got sent to the hospital in Boston because he's in a coma, so she gets shipped off to Salem along with her step mother. She ends up meeting a guy named Jaxon in Salem who is always there for her. At school, she comes across a group of people who always wear black and tend to rule the school. What's even better is that they call themselves the Descendants and they have all descended from people who were hung at the Salem Witch Trials. They bully her, though deaths begin piling up and a mystery ensues.
I honestly couldn't put this book down. It was so intriguing all the time. Samantha was such a great character and I loved following her through her adventures. Jaxon was great too, but I absolutely adored Elijah. He's a ghost that Sam ends up becoming friends with. He's always so helpful and is just so lovable. 
I really loved the amount of history in this book. It was sort of like historical fiction with a twist, which was great. I also really liked that it took place in Salem because I've visited there. Sam was talking about different places that she was visiting and it was awesome because I knew about every place that she visited because I had visited those places too!

How to Hang a Witch was a magical read that was constantly intriguing and I can't wait to read more by Mather in the future!


2 comments:

  1. It's always really cool when you read a book, and it's set in a place you've been to before! Honestly makes reading it so much cooler, right?? :D
    I'm super glad you liked this one though! I hear quite a bit about it here and there - all good things - so hopefully I'll try it out too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this book and I need to read it like now! I've heard really really great things about it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!