Thursday, August 18, 2016

Daring the Bad Boy by Monica Murphy | Review

30332862Title: Daring the Bad Boy
Author: Monica Murphy
Release Date: August 22, 2016
Publisher: Entangled Crush
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Netgalley

Truth or Dare was never this much fun...
Annie McFarland is sick of being a shy nobody. A session at summer camp seems like the perfect opportunity to reinvent herself-gain some confidence, kiss a boy, be whoever she wants to be. A few days in, she's already set her sights on uber-hottie Kyle. Too bad her fear of water keeps her away from the lake, where Kyle is always hanging out.
Jacob Fazio is at Camp Pine Ridge after one too many screw-ups. Junior counseling seems like punishment enough, but the rigid no-fraternizing-with-campers rules harsh his chill. When a night of Truth or Dare gets him roped into teaching Annie how to swim, she begs him to also teach her how to snag Kyle.
Late-night swim sessions turn into late-night kissing sessions... but there's more on the line than just their hearts. If they get caught, Jake's headed straight to juvie, but Annie's more than ready to dare him to reveal the truth.
Disclaimer: This Entangled Teen Crush book contains references to drinking, sexual situations, adult language, and an intense bad boy hero who will melt your heart.

**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

For some reason, I am always so drawn to Entangled Crush's contemporary novels! They always sound so awesome! That's why I jumped on the chance to read and review Daring the Bad Boy. 

This story basically follows two different characters. First, there's Annie who is going to Camp Pine Ridge because a spot suddenly opened up. Then there's Jake, who has basically gotten in trouble a lot in the pass. Needless to say, he's a bit of a bad boy. He's going to camp to make some extra money and do something other than steal. Plus, his uncle owns the camp. One night, Jake saves Annie's life after she's dared to jump in the water. She can't swim and so on the walk back to her cabin she actually dares Jake to teach her to swim. The summer isn't the same since. 

I thought Annie was alright. To be honest, I wasn't the fondest of reading through her point of view. I thought that she became very outgoing and bold so quickly. She seemed like such a shy girl because of her actions initially but then all of a sudden she started talking to Jake and dared him to teach her to swim. It just seemed a little different than the kind of character I thought she was. I just wish that had happened a little bit slower!

Jake's point of view was awesome. I have always been a fan of novels with two different point of views. This time, I actually preferred reading through the guy's point of view. I just thought that he was a more interesting character, though that may be because he's done some stuff in his past. 

I liked the camp setting. I've read a few books that take place at summer camps and I always love them so much. It reminds me of when I used to go to summer camp when I was younger. They were just so much fun so I loved having a setting that brought back good memories.

In the end, this was a cute contemporary read with a fun setting.


2 comments:

  1. I love summer camp books, too. (Also, the disclaimer cracked me up.) I hear you on the too-quick character transformation. It frustrates me when books do that, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I debated on whether or not to read this book. It sounded cute, but I had too many other books on my TBR to add another one. Glad you liked it though! I like reading from a guy's perspective too.

    Dena @ Batch of Books

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!