Monday, July 11, 2016

Smash & Grab by Amy Christine Parker | Review

27272262
Title: Smash & Grab
Author: Amy Christine Parker
Release Date: July 19, 2016
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Genre: Contemporary/Action
Source: Netgalley

Ocean's Eleven meets the star-crossed lovers of West Side Story. Grab some popcorn and get ready for an adrenaline-filled heist.
LEXI is a rich girl who loves a good rush. Whether it's motorcycle racing or BASE jumping off a building in downtown Los Angeles, the only times she feels alive are when she and her friends are executing one of their dares. After her father's arrest, Lexi doesn't think twice about going undercover at his bank to steal the evidence that might clear his name. She enlists her hacker brother and her daredevil friends to plan a clever heist.
CHRISTIAN is a boy from the wrong side of the tracks. The local gang has blackmailed him and his friends into robbing banks, and he is desperate for a way out. When the boss promises that one really big job will be the last he ever has to do, Christian jumps at the chance for freedom. In fact, he's just met a girl at the bank who might even prove useful...
Two heists. One score. The only thing standing in their way is each other.
Told in alternating points of view, this caper is full of romance and fast-paced fun. Hand to fans of Perfect Chemistry, The Conspiracy of Us, and Heist Society. 

**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I've never been the biggest fan of action-packed heist novels, though I knew that I had to give this one a chance after Amy Christine Parker's novel Gated absolutely blew me away. 

Smash & Grab follows two characters, Lexi and Christian. Lexi's father recently got arrested and she likes to spend a lot of her free time in exhilarating situations, like jumping off the top of skyscrapers with her brother. Meanwhile, Christian is told that if he pulls off one big robbery instead of tons more little ones then he could finally stop being blackmailed by a gang. Of course, smaller ones are easier, but he decides to give it a shot. Needless to say, Lexi and Christian cross paths. 

I'm so glad that I gave this one a chance. Not only was it written by one of my favorite authors, it was also told in dual perspectives, which is one of my favorite ways of storytelling. I loved getting in the head of both Lexi and Christian, especially because they were both different. I always love it when there's dual perspectives only for the two characters to end up meeting. It's just so cool to read about!

This book was honestly thrilling and it even started off with a bang. I immediately liked Lexi because of how much of a thrill-seeker she was. I mean, the minute we meet her she's planning to jump off the top of a building! How much more of an adrenaline junkie could she possibly be? I also really felt for Christian when I first met him, especially because he was being blackmailed. I felt like Christian's side of the story included a bit more depth than Lexi's side, but I loved both characters nonetheless. 

The reason I'm giving this novel 3 stars instead of 4 stars is because I felt like their bank robbing was a little over the top. I feel like it should have been so much harder to rob a bank, but then again, I get that this is a novel, so technically anything can happen. It just seemed a little unrealistic at times, but I still enjoyed the novel and will gladly check out anything else that Amy Christine Parker writes in the future.



2 comments:

  1. I don't usually read "heist" books either...but this one sounds pretty good. I also LOVE the shoes on the cover :) I haven't read anything by Amy Christine Parker yet, but glad to know she's one of your faves!! Did you do a redesign?? it's cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I didn't love this one like you did but glad that you gave this a chance!

    my review

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!