Wednesday, July 13, 2016

And I Darken by Kiersten White | Review

25324111Title: And I Darken
Author: Kiersten White
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: June 28, 2016
Source: Netgalley
Genere: Fantasy
Series: The Conquerors Saga #1

NO ONE EXPECTS A PRINCESS TO BE BRUTAL. And Lada Dragwlya likes it that way. Ever since she and her gentle younger brother, Radu, were wrenched from their homeland of Wallachia and abandoned by their father to be raised in the Ottoman courts, Lada has known that being ruthless is the key to survival. She and Radu are doomed to act as pawns in a vicious game, an unseen sword hovering over their every move. For the lineage that makes them special also makes them targets.
Lada despises the Ottomans and bides her time, planning vengeance for the day when she can return to Wallachia and claim her birthright. Radu longs only for a place where he feels safe. And when they meet Mehmed, the defiant and lonely son of the sultan, who's expected to rule a nation, Radu feels that he's made a true friend-and Lada wonders if she's finally found someone worthy of her passion.
But Mehmed is heir to the very empire that Lada has sworn to fight against-and that Radu now considers home. Together, Lada, Radu, and Mehmed form a toxic triangle that strains the bonds of love and loyalty to the breaking point.

**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

 And I Darken follows the story of Lada as well as her brother Radu. Lada is very vicious and strong which is exactly what her father wanted, though he was hoping for a son. Her younger brother Radu is very delicate and can't stand up for himself. Lada stands up for him when people pick on him during their younger years. 

I originally went into this story thinking that it was going to be some sort of fantasy. However, I thought wrong. The story ended up being a very historical novel, though with a twist, because Kirsten White rethought Vlad the Impaler as a girl named Lada. Don't get me wrong, I still greatly enjoyed the story, but since I thought it was going to be more of a fantasy, I was in for a bit of a surprise.

I absolutely loved Lada right from the get go. She was such a unique character and as soon as I started reading about her I knew that she was going to be different than a lot of females in the world that she lives in. She's completely feisty and it's totally awesome! Her brother Radu is the complete opposite of her, though still equally as lovable. 

There was a bit of a romance throughout the novel too. This, of course, is through a love triangle. I'm usually fine with love triangles though, and I was in this story as well. 

The reason I'm giving this book three stars is because I felt that there was so much information thrown at me while I was reading. I love world building, I really do, but I felt a little bit overwhelmed at times by the amount of information throughout the pages. It was so much that I couldn't exactly remember it all, so I paid attention to the characters more than who everyone was and who hated who. However, I will still give the second book a read!




6 comments:

  1. I've seen tons of mixed reviews about this book. I've read the author's Paranormalcy series and enjoyed it, so I think I'll eventually give this series a try too. Great review!
    Erika @ Books and Stars

    ReplyDelete
  2. World building can be pretty overwhelming sometimes, definitely! I know that in books with lots of worldbuilding, I also end up just focusing on the characters - only exception to that would probably be Harry Potter! xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHh you're right! From the cover I assumed this book would be an epic fantasy but now that you mention it's most of a historical fiction, I want to read it more! I'm kind of branching out of my safe genres so this seems like a good place to start. I actually already have the book because I was intrigued by the gender swap thing so I'll definitely be picking this one up. Awesome review :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been dying to read this book, but I have heard people think there's a little too much historical information thrown at the readers. I'm glad you liked it enough to give the 2nd book a try! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Currently reading this and really enjoying it! Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!