Friday, June 10, 2016

Places No One Knows by Brenna Yovanoff | Review

26067507Title: Places No One Knows
Author: Brenna Yovanoff
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: May 17, 2016
Source: Publisher

For fans of Lauren Oliver and E. Lockhart, here is a dreamy love story set in the dark halls of contemporary high school, from New York Times bestselling author Brenna Yovanoff.
Waverly Camdenmar spends  her nights running until she can't even think. Then the sun comes up, life goes on, and Waverly goes back to her perfectly hateful best friend, her perfectly dull class, and the tiny, nagging suspicion that there's more to life than student council and GPAs.
Marshall Holt is a loser. He drinks on school nights and gets stoned in the park. He is at risk of not graduating, he does not care, he is no one. He is not even close to being in Waverly's world.
But then one night Waverly falls asleep and dreams herself into Marshall's bedroom-and when the sun comes up, nothing in her life can ever be the same. In Waverly's dreams, the rules have changed. But in her days, she'll have to decide if it's worth losing everything for a boy who barely exists. 

**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

As soon as I heard about this book, I knew that I'd have to check it out because I read and loved Brenna Yovanoff's The Replacement in the past. It was the perfect twist of confusing and contemporary, just like Places No One Knows. 

The story follows Waverly who is one of the more popular girls in school along with her best friend. The thing is, Waverly is too smart to be part of the popular crowd. She knows how messed up and dumb it can be, yet she stays a part of it just for fun. She just goes along with whatever her best friend tells her to do. However, that all starts to change after she meets Marshall who is one of the people that Waverly never thought she'd ever talk to. He drinks all the time and doesn't try hard in school. Yet, as the two hang out a lot, things begin to change. 

I really liked Waverly as a character. She was interesting because even though she was really popular, she was super smart and saw through a lot of what people were doing. I also just liked the way that she handled herself on a day to day basis. I didn't like Marshall at first, though the more that I got to know him, the more I liked him. He was going through a lot in his life which just made me appreciate him as a character more. He also began to change a lot through the book which was very wonderful to see. 

I know that a lot of people might finish this book and say that it's confusing, which it definitely was at times. I think that's just part of Brenna Yovanoff's signature. You get confused but you're still so intrigued so the book is still amazing because the concept is kind of hard to wrap your head around. However, I'm here to tell you that this book is still worth reading despite that. The characters are just so interesting and lovable that you won't want to put the book down. Plus, the writing was impeccable. 



4 comments:

  1. Great review! I really need to pick this one up. I read and loved The Replacements when it first came out, but haven't read anything else by Brenna Yovanoff yet. I think her writing style definitely can get a bit confusing at times like you said, but I agree that you still are so intrigued.

    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of Brenna Yovanoff's books yet, but as soon as this was released I picked it up. It sounded like a such a dark, confusing tale, and sometimes I tend to love those. Glad you enjoyed it, and great review! Now if only I can find the time to read my copy of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I really want to read this one after seeing Maggie Stiefvater blurb it and rave about it so glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds excellent, which is good since I've enjoyed Yovanoff's other books :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!