Monday, May 2, 2016

The Land of 10,000 Madonnas by Kate Hettemer | Review

18520654Title: The Land of 10,000 Madonnas
Author: Kate Hettemer
Publisher: Knopf
Release Date: April 19, 2016
Genre: Contemporary

Five teens backpack through Europe to fulfill the mysterious dying wish of their friend.
Jesse lives with his history professor dad in a house covered with postcards of images of the Madonna from all over the world. They've gotten used to this life: two motherless dudes living among thousands of Madonnas. But Jesse has a heart condition that will ultimately cut his life tragically short. Before he dies, he arranges a mysterious trip to Europe for his three cousins, his best friend, and his girlfriend to take after he passes away. It's a trip that will forever change the lives of these young teens and one that will help them come to terms with Jesse's death.


**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

 The Land of 10,000 Madonnas follows a group of five teenagers who didn't all really know each other all that well, though they did have one thing in common: they all knew Jesse. Jesse has a pretty bad heart condition so he actually wrote down a whole bunch of stories and information before he died. He also gave some of the people in his life tickets to Europe where they have to go on a trip.

I really liked all the characters in this book. Jesse was a pretty enjoyable character, though most of what we know about him is through the things he wrote down. He seemed to have a very good life though he wished that he had a longer life to live, as would anybody in his shoes. I also really liked Cal. She lived pretty far away from Jesse but whenever the two got the chance to hang out they were two peas in a pod and got along so greatly. I also really related to Cal because she was a high school senior who was just graduating, just like me!

I honestly loved this book so much. The story flowed really nicely and I am also a huge fan of road trip books. On top of that, I think that Hettemer's idea of a road trip put together by someone who died was incredibly unique. I've never heard of a story like that! 

I know for sure that this is going to be a pretty popular book for the summer, and I highly recommend it. It's the perfect summer read and it's also such a marvelous road trip book. It's so bittersweet! I honestly suggest that you check it out because you definitely won't regret it.


4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one before but it definitely sounds like a great summer contemporary about friendship. Thanks for sharing Krystianna!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I bought this one last week and am really excited to start it, so I'm happy to see that you loved it! great review krystianna! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh just the sound of this is tugging on the feels. It does sound fun though! Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh~ I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds interesting. Eye-catching title too:) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!