Monday, May 30, 2016

The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love by Sarvenaz Tash | Review

24832518Title: The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love
Author: Sarvenaz Tash
Release Date: June 14, 2016
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source: Netgalley

John Hughes meets Comic Con in this hilarious, unabashedly romantic, coming of age novel about a teenager who is trying to get his best friend to fall in love with him from the author of Three Day Summer. 
Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy...
Archie and Veronica...
Althena and Noth...
... Graham and Roxy?
Graham met his best friend, Roxana, when he moved into her neighborhood eight years ago, and she asked him which Hogwarts house he'd be sorted into. Graham has been in love with her ever since.
But now they're sixteen, still neighbors, still best friends. And Graham and Roxy share more than ever-moving on from their Harry Potter obsession to a serious love of comic books.
When Graham learns that the creator of their favorite comic, The Chronicles of Althena, is making a rare appearance at this year's New York Comic Con, he knows he must score tickets. And the event inspires Graham to come up with the perfect plan to tell Roxy how he really feels about her. He's got three days to woo his best friend at the coolest, kookiest con full of superheroes and super villains. But no one at a comic book convention is who they appear to be... even Roxy. And Graham is starting to realize fictional love stories are way less complicated than real-life ones.
**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I don't know about you, but I'm a massive nerd. That's why I knew the moment that I saw The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love that it'd be a new favorite read.

The story follows a guy named Graham who is in love with his close friend Roxana. They are absolutely obsessed with this comic called The Chronicles of Althena, though one of the writers behind the comic has never made any appearances. That all changes one year at New York Comic Con, so Roxana and Graham know that they just have to go. Graham decides that would be the perfect opportunity to tell Roxana that he has feelings for her as well. The story unfolds as Graham is faced with so many obstacles! 

I absolutely loved all the geeky references in this book. Almost every page has a reference and it made me just love Graham even more. I also really loved how it was the classic best friend loves best friend story yet with an awesome twist because it takes place at NYCC. 

The characters were all so lovable. I really felt for Graham because all he wanted was for Roxana to know how he really felt. He would do absolutely anything possible in order to do this, even spending tons of money. It was really adorable. Roxana was pretty cool too. She and Graham would write comics together and the Roxana would be the artist for the comics. She was also super nerdy and she and Graham just got along so well... it was rather cute. 

I have to say that this is going to be one of my favorite reads of the year. I loved the epic adventures that happened during New York Comic Con with Graham, Devin, Casey, Felicia, and Roxana. They were honestly all characters that I'll never forget, along with the story itself. I can't wait to read more by Tash in the future!



7 comments:

  1. oh yay.. I am a huge nerd too and yes that is what drew me to this book.I love everything about what I see so I can't wait to read it. So happy to hear how adorable it is. Just like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this so bad. I recently read Draw the Line by Laurent Linn and really enjoyed it. I feel like this one would give me that same fantastic feeling. I'm super glad you enjoyed this book. :)

    Rachelle @ Shell's Stories

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a fun nerdy story!! This sounds adorable. Glad you enjoyed it!! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so cute! That cover also looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any books by this author before but I'm really excited because yay all things geeky! I'm literally going to glow every time I get a reference. I also hope that the romance floats my boat too, since sometimes I can be picky. I'm really glad you enjoyed the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds so cute. I need to check this one out. I love the line about Hogwarts Houses in the description. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually only recently heard about this book but, like you, I am a massive nerd and this books appealed to that side of me. It sounds like it's a really fun read to appeal to the geek in all of us. Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm off to go see if I can justify buying it.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!