Friday, May 27, 2016

Summer Days & Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories | Review

25063781Title: Summer Days & Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories
Author: Edited by Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: May 17, 2016
Source: Netgalley

Maybe it's the long, lazy days, or maybe it's the heat making everyone a little bit crazy. Whatever the reason, summer is the perfect time for love to bloom. Summer Days & Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories, written by twelve bestselling young adult writers and edited by the international bestselling author of Stephanie Perkins, will have you dreaming of sunset strolls by the lake. So set out your beach chair and grab your sunglasses. You have twelve reasons this summer to soak up the sun and fall in love.
Featuring stories by Leigh Bardugo, Francesca Lia Block, Libba Bray, Cassandra Clare, Brandy Colbert, Tim Federle, Lev Grossman, Nina LaCour, Stephanie Perkins, Veronica Roth, Jon Skovron, and Jennifer E. Smith.


**Thanks so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

Overall review:
This anthology is literally perfect for summer. The stories are all so interesting and it's awesome because some of them are very summery and fun yet others are dark and twisted. The wide variety of authors were great because each one wrote in their own genre. I'd highly suggest picking this one up if you'd like something different for the summer!

Reviews by story: 

Head, Scales, Tongue, Tale by Leigh Bardugo-5 stars
I haven't ever read anything by Leigh Bardugo, but I have heard nothing but good things about all of her novels. It was exciting to finally read something by her, even though it was just a short story! I thought this was a perfect introduction story, especially because it's about mermaids. It took me a while to figure that out, but I did eventually! I loved how creepy this one was at times, especially with that end twist.

The End of Love by Nina LaCour-3 stars
For some reason I didn't love this one that much, which was kind of sad for me because I have read and loved one of Nina's books in the past. It follows a girl named Flora who is taking a summer geometry class that she had already taken just because she wants to be out of her house for the summer. I didn't really connect with the characters much and therefore didn't enjoy this one much. 

Last Stand at the Cinegore by Libba Bray-5 stars
I was so pumped that there was a short story by Libba Bray! I absolutely love her writing style because she's so witty and hilarious. This short story as no exception! It takes place at a movie theater's last open night and creepy things start to go down. So awesome! It was definitely one of my favorites from the anthology. 

Sick Pleasures by Francesca Lia Block-2 stars
I didn't have the best of luck with this short story either. I had a hard time following the story because there were letters used instead of names, which was a bit confusing. By the time I finally could follow who all the characters were, the story was already over.

In Ninety Minutes, Turn North by Stephanie Perkins-5 stars
I love Stephanie's romantic contemporaries, so I was quite excited for a short story by her! This one was so cute and amazing. I really felt for the characters, North and Marigold. I was rooting for them the whole time and I loved how emotional the story was.

Souvenirs by Tim Federle-2 stars
I found this story to be alright, though I wasn't completely blown away. It's about Matty and Kieth, both of whom are dating. However, we meet them on their breakup day, which they had decided on a while ago. I really liked the message behind this one but didn't enjoy it all that much. 

Inertia by Veronica Roth-5 stars
SO THIS WAS MY FAVORITE SHORT STORY. I really loved how it was futuristic, especially since I'm a huge science fiction fan. It's about a girl named Claire whose ex-best friend Matthew was injured. In this future, people can choose others for their last visitation, which is basically their last chance to talk to their friends, but it's through memories. It's kind of hard to explain, but seriously, THIS ONE WAS AMAZING. 

Love is the Last Resort by Jon Skovron-4 stars
I enjoyed this one! It reminded me a lot of a romantic comedy which is perfect in the summer, at least in my opinion. It was kind of funny at times and I was just rooting for the different couples! It was great!

Good Luck and Farewell by Brandy Colbert-3 stars
This story took place in Chicago, which I found pretty awesome. I liked the romance, but this story didn't stick out too much to me. 

Brand New Attraction by Cassandra Clare-4 stars
I was so ecstatic for this story because I love City of Bones! This one happened at a carnival which was pretty awesome. I thought the story definitely had a Cassandra Clare touch. You'll understand when you get the chance to read this one! 

A Thousand Ways This Could All Go Wrong by Jennifer E. Smith-4 stars
This was a short story by yet another author that I had heard awesome things about! I still haven't read any of Jennifer's books, but I know that I for sure will after this. The short story was cute and I really liked it! I think this was your typical summery romance, but I ate it up.

The Map of Tiny Perfect Things by Lev Grossman-4 stars
I thought this story was very interesting. I liked how it had that special magical touch. This was my first read by Lev Grossman and I know that I'm going to be checking out The Magicians in the future! 



7 comments:

  1. Nice review! I'm reading this one now and just finished the fourth story- so far so good. Although I liked The end of Love a little more than you did sounds like. I'm looking forward to reading the rest- it's nice to have short stories like this- nice quick reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited to read this, especially with the weather getting warmer. But I have to admit, I am mostly excited for Veronica Roth's story. It sounds the most interesting to me. :D

    Sarah | Kerosene Lit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this book as well! My favorite short stories were Stephanie's, Veronica's, and Jennifer's. Oh my goodness I loved the one by Veronica Roth! When it first started out I was half skeptical because I was really getting Divergent vibes from the serum talk, but AHH I loved it! It made me cry a little! I was so pumped to get to read this one for a blog tour as well! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I'm in the UK so sadly my copy of the book won't arrive until next week but I'm looking forward to it I loved Perkins' last anthology that was for christmas, I discovered some really fantastic authors so I'm excited to do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I loved most of these stories too, but I also had some trouble with Sick Pleasure. I love these anthologies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this around a lot lately and it looks like a fun read. Plus, colourful covers are always good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I didn't quite get into this one but I'm glad you liked it! Seems like we liked the opposite stories ♥

    my review

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!