Monday, May 16, 2016

Paper Girls, Volume 1 | Review

29890100Title: Paper Girls, Volume 1
Author: Cliff K. Chiang, Brian K. Vaughan, Matt Wilson (Illustrations)
Release Date: April 5, 2016
Publisher: Diamond Book Distributors
Source: Netgalley

From Brian K. Vaughan, #1 New York Times bestselling writer of SAGA, and Cliff Chiang, legendary artist of WONDER WOMAN, comes the first volume of an all-new ongoing adventure. In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Suburban drama and otherworldly mysteries collide in this smash-hit series about nostalgia, first jobs, and the last days of childhood. 

**Thanks so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

As of recently, I've been really into graphic novels. There's just something about them that makes them so incredibly fun to read!

Paper Girls follows the story of some 12-year-old girls in the 1980's, all of whom deliver papers. The story begins with a girl named Erin who is very new to the job. She runs into another group of girls who also deliver newspapers while she's being attacked by older guys. She's with these girls when she finds out that her town is not the same town that she thought she was in.

To start off, I thought I'd talk about the artwork. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. It was so pretty to look at! I really liked how it looked slightly cartoony but realistic at the same time. I also really liked the colors. They were very bright just like the 1980's themselves. It really adds to the story overall.

The story itself was very interesting. I thought the pacing was great and I never found myself bored, especially because I was so fascinated with the artwork. I also loved the idea of a whole town disappearing and creepy aliens showing up. It was just so intriguing!

I know for sure that I'll be picking up the next installment of this new series!


5 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad to see you enjoyed this one so much! I just picked it up a couple of days ago and am excited to dive in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a go at graphic novels but I don't even know where to begin. The hubby loves them but only the superhero stuff and that's not my thing at all.

    Aggie @ AggiesBooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love graphic novels and how fast they go compared to novels- and if I'm in a slump sometimes reading a few will loosen things up. I've been wondering about this one since it sounded kinda fun- I've seen mixed reviews but I don't know, it looks good. I'm hoping to read this one at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw it on The Book Depository and it made me curious. Seeing you mention the same graphic novel here makes me want to move it up my potential buy list. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I'm curious about this one, but I've seen lots of meh reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!