Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Draw the Line by Laurent Linn | Review

Title: Draw the Line
24949433
Author: Laurent Linn
Release Date: May 17, 2016
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Source: Publisher

Adrian Piper is used to blending into the background at his Texas high school. He may be a talented artist, a sci-fi geek, and gay, but those traits only bring him the worst kind of attention.
In fact, the only place he feels free to express himself is at his drawing table, crafting a secret world through his own Renaissance art-inspired superhero, Graphite.
But in real life, when a shocking hate crime flips his world upside-down, Adrian must decide what kind of person he wants to be. Maybe it's time to not be so invisible after all-no matter how dangerous the risk.
In Draw the Line, Laurent Linn's debut novel, he writes a charged story-illustrated with his own extraordinary drawings-about discovering your own superpowers, deciding how to use them, and where to draw the line. 

**Thank you so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

The second I laid eyes on this book, I knew that it was going to be amazing. Draw the Line follows the story of Adrian. He likes to try to stay under the radar with his friends Audrey and Trent. He spends a lot of his time working on his comic about Graphite, who seems to be his alter-ego. Soon enough after witnessing a bully, the lines between Adrian's comic book and his real life begin to blur.

Before I even get started on how awesome the story is, I thought I'd talk about the amazing art that's throughout this book. There's legit pages from Adrian's Graphite comics! Every few chapters or so there will be quite a few pages from the comic. The art is so great in those pages! It was really fun to get a look into what Adrian spends so much of his time creating as well. This made me even happier because I'm a huge fan of superheroes and comics. It's awesome to find a character with similar passions. 

In addition, there are so many geeky references throughout his book! Trust me, if you're a Star Wars or science fiction fan, this book is going to be your paradise. I loved all the references because they made me feel even more connected to Adrian!

I absolutely love the strong bond of friendship that was evident throughout this book with Adrian and his friends. Trent was extremely awesome. He was always wearing black and was extremely all, so he stuck out like a sore thumb all the time. Audrey, on the other hand, was extremely fashionable and even swooped in and helped Adrian out in the beginning after a hair mishap. The characters were extremely developed from the beginning of the novel as well, which I really adored. It didn't take me long to get used to their quirks. Within the first chapter, I already felt like I knew them all. 

I can gladly say that Draw the Line will be one of my favorite books of the year. 


4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it, Krystianna! When I saw Draw the Line, I thought that it looked pretty cool - glad it turned out that way for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how i love geeky references. this book is new to me and I do need to check it out. adding now. Is it more graphic novel or just artwork in the book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read this one. I'll be looking for a copy of it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!