Sunday, May 22, 2016

100 Days of Cake by Shari Goldhagen | Review

26959141Title:  100 Days of Cake
Author: Shari Goldhagen
Release Date: May 17, 2016
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers
Source: Netgalley

Get well soon isn't going to cut it in this quirky and poignant debut novel about a girl, her depression, an aggressive amount of baked goods, and the struggle to simply stay afloat in an unpredictable, bittersweet life.
There are only three things that can get seventeen-year-old Molly Byrne out of bed these days: her job at FishTopia, the promise of endless episodes of Golden Girls, and some delicious lo mien. You see, for the past two years, Molly's been struggling with something more than your usual teenage angst. Her shrink, Dr. Brooks isn't helping much, and neither is her mom who is convinced that baking the perfect cake will cure Molly of her depression-as if cake can magically make her rejoin the swim team, get along with her promiscuous sister, or care about the SATs.
Um, no. Never going to happen.
But Molly plays along, stomaching her mother's failed culinary experiments, because, whatever-as long as it makes someone happy, right? Besides, as far as Molly's concerned, hanging out with Alex at the rundown exotic fish store makes life tolerable enough. Even if he does ask her out every... single... day. But-sarcastic drum roll, please-nothing can stay the same forever. When Molly finds out FishTopia is turning into a bleak country diner, her whole life seems to fall apart at once. Soon she has to figure out what-if anything-is worth fighting for. 

**Thanks so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

When I first saw this book, I got really excited because of the title. I'm a huge fan of anything that has to do with cake and baking! Of course, after reading the synopsis, I had to give this book a shot. 

100 Days of Cake is about a girl named Molly who spends most of her time working at her job at FishTopia. She works there with a guy named Alex, who so obviously has a huge crush on her, yet she doesn't exactly see that. However, Molly suffers from depression.

In my opinion, depression was excellently portrayed throughout this book. I took a psychology course last semester at school and learned that depression consists of both good and bad days, which were evident in this book. 

On the other hand, I wasn't the biggest fan of some other things throughout the book, which is why I'm giving this book three stars. I don't want to spoil, but there was a sort of romance that I was a little bit iffy about, mostly because of the age difference. I also didn't quite understand how making cake for someone could possibly cure depression. However, I still enjoyed this book and will be looking for Shari's future novels.


8 comments:

  1. Marian Keyes has written a book about how baking helped her overcome her own depression. Though that was baking herself and not having someone else baking for her. Molly's mum might have looked at it as the only thing she could control, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title definitely has me curious about this book. I love books w/ cool titles. I don't really like big age-gap romances though. It has to be done perfectly (like in Love and Other Perishable Items) for me to be okay w/ it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really, a book involving cake is inevitably going to be a book I'm going to read. The fact that it's a book involving a girl who has depression and her mother's insane idea that the perfect cake will fix it? That just means it'll probably be an interesting read. The concept has intrigued me and after your comment about the romance it just makes me want to read it more to find out why you have your issues with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books with realistic portrayals of things like depression so I think I would like this one. Plus, CAKE!!! Not sure about the age gap romance though. That's usually not something I'm in to. I would definitely give this one a try though! Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard so many negative things about this one, especially about the romance, but I am kinda excited to see depression portrayed positively in a YA novel so I might still check it out! Thanks for the review!

    Jamie @ Books and Ladders

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been craving cake lately. Seeing the title of this book just makes me want it more. :P

    I'm glad to hear it portrays depression well. It seems rare when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you on the title and summary. Books with any baked goods mixed into the story sound so enticing:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you on the title and summary. Books with any baked goods mixed into the story sound so enticing:D

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!