Monday, April 4, 2016

Thanks for the Trouble by Tommy Wallach | Review

25532845Title: Thanks for the Trouble
Author: Tommy Wallach
Release Date: February 23, 2016
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Netgalley

A young man overcomes a crippling loss and finds the courage to live after meeting an enigmatic girl.
"Was this story written about me?"
I shrugged.
"Yes or no?"
I shrugged again, finally earning a little scowl, which somehow made the girl even more pretty.
"It's very rude not to answer simple questions," she said.
I gestured for my journal, but she still wouldn't give it to me. So I took out my pen and wrote on my palm.
I can't, I wrote. Then, in tiny letters below it: Now don't you fell like a jerk?
Parker Sante hasn't spoken a word in five years. While his classmates plan for bright futures, he skips school to hang out in hotels, killing time by watching the guests. But when he meets a silver-haired girl named Zelda Toth, a girl who claims to be quite a bit older than she looks, he'll discover there just might be a few things left worth living for.

**Thanks so much to Simon & Schuster for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I had first heard of Tommy Wallach last year with the release of We All Looked Up which I have still not gotten around to reading. However, after finishing Thanks for the Trouble, I know that it's one that I'm going to want to pick up ASAP, and I'm here to tell you why you should too.

Thanks for the Trouble follows a boy named Parker who hasn't spoken a word in years. He honestly hasn't said a word since the death of his father. He carries around a notebook most of the time and writes down what he wants to say instead. So many people look at him like he's introverted and antisocial, when he honestly has his own reasons for being the way that he is.

One day, Parker meets Zelda and everything changes for the both of them. The two of them even make a pact, and Parker helps Zelda spend all her money that she magically has. They each light a spark in the other, and perhaps life gets better for the two of them.

I loved this book so much. It was written in such a way that it reminded me of John Green but also slightly different. Chapters would skip from past to present so smoothly that I never had to spend time wondering which timeline I was in. Also, there was an abundance of humor, which I'm a total sucker for. I found myself laughing quite a bit because of the main character, Parker. Wallach definitely has a sense of humor.

This book was honestly quite a whirlwind. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down because of all the wonderfulness. The characters also felt so completely real, which I adored. Oh, plus there was Parker's stories that he wrote. He even wrote one about Zelda when he first met her, which she accidentally saw, which was funny. 

If you're looking for a brilliantly-written new release to read, Thanks for the Trouble is the one you must pick up.


2 comments:

  1. Your review is so happy and strong I'm convinced to go check this book out.

    Blog: QueendSheena
    2016 A to Z Participant
    Joy Brigade Minion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this review and that cover! I definitely have to check it out. I haven't read We All Looked Up either, even though it's been sitting on my TBR for months, but I definitely plan on reading it soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!