Sunday, April 24, 2016

Nightstruck by Jenna Black | Review

25659436Title: Nightstruck
Author: Jenna Black
Release Date: April 5, 2016
Publisher: Tor Teen
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal
Pages: 304 pages

It starts with a cry in the night.
Becket, walking her dog one winter evening, fears it's an abandoned baby left out in the cold. But it is something else-something evil-and it tricks Becket into opening a doorway to another realm, letting a darkness into our world, a corruption that begins transforming Philadelphia into a sinister and menacing version of itself...but only at night.
The changes are subtle at first, causing Becket to doubt her sense and her sanity. But soon the nightmarish truth is impossible to deny: By day, the city is just a city, but at night it literally comes alive with malevolent purpose. Brick and steel become bone, streetlights turn into gallows, and hungry alleys wait to stare mortal victims. Terrified citizens huddle indoors after dusk, as others succumb to the siren song of the night, letting their darker sides run wild.
Once, Becket's biggest problems were living up to her police commissioner father's high expectations and a secret crush on her best friend's boyfriend. Now she must find a way to survive and protect her loved ones... before the darkness takes her as well. 
**I received this book in exchange for an honest review!**

As soon as I heard about Nightstruck, I knew that I was going to want to give it a read. I had read some of Jenna's books in the past and absolutely loved them, so I immediately new that this new book would be no exception. Boy was I right!

Nightstruck begins with a girl named Becket walking her dog. However, she hears a baby crying and goes to investigate. She ends up calling the police and realizing that nobody would believe what she was seeing, so she ended up hanging up only to get grounded by her father who is the police commissioner. However, as the days go on, more and more creepy things start happening at night in Philadelphia.

I loved this book so much! Becket was a really awesome character. I loved how caring she was and I really liked how much she grew throughout the novel as well. However, I think that my favorite character was definitely Luke. He was incredibly sweet and was also the boyfriend of Becket's best friend, Piper. I honestly don't know how he put up with a lot of the crap that Piper did, but he was still an awesome guy. Piper got on my nerves a bit, but I got over it. I also really liked Aleric at first. He was a mysterious guy that Becket ran into one day. He ends up playing a much bigger part in the story later on!

This book was both creepy and haunting. I really liked the whole idea of the nightstruck that Jenna came up with. If that happened in my town, I'd be freaking out so much! Plus, nighttime is my favorite time and I think if my town turned nightstruck it wouldn't be my favorite time anymore. Nightstruck is such a wonderful read; just remember not to read it at night or it will send shivers down your spine! I'll definitely be checking out more of Jenna's books in the future!





6 comments:

  1. Creepy & haunting, sounds like an intriguing read! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! This books sounds absolutely terrifying!! I haven't read anything by this author before and I have seen some really positive reviews. I might have to give this one a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first I've heard about this one. I love anything involving different realms, and having this one more on the horror side sounds really interesting!

    Sarah @ Kerosene Lit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was the beginning of this book creepy or what? I loved it. I agree about the nighttime stuff- it was fun but a little spooky as well. :) And Luke was a great character- liked him and Beckt. Loved the manhole cover...

    And the cliffhanger... definitely stoked for the next one. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently heard about this one, through Greg^^ and I really want to read it...your review made that even more true! Different realms, creepy and awesome characters? Sign me up! Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!