Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Some of the Parts by Hannah Barnaby | Review

24680262Title: Some of the Parts
Author: Hannah Barnaby
Release Date: February 16, 2016
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Publisher

Sometimes bad things happen, and we are not the same when they are over.
For months, Tallie McGovern has been coping with the death of her older brother the only way she knows how: by smiling bravely and pretending that she's okay. She's managed to fool her friends, her parents, and her teachers so far, yet she can't even say his name out loud: "N-" is as far as she can go. But when Tallie comes across a letter int he mail, it only takes two words to crack the careful facade she's built around herself:
ORGAN DONOR.
Two words that had apparently been checked off on her brother's driver's license; two words that her parents knew about-and never confided to her. All at once, everything Tallie thought she understood about her brother's death feels like a lie. And although a part of her knows he's gone forever, another part of her wonders if finding the letter might be a sign. That if she can just track down the people on the other end of those two words, it might somehow bring him back.
Hannah Barnaby's deeply moving novel asks questions there are no easy answers to as it follows a family struggling to pick up the pieces, and a girl determined to find the brother she wasn't ready to let go of. 

**Thanks so much to Penguin Random House for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I'm a huge sucker for contemporaries, especially sad ones. That's what originally drew me into Some of the Parts. The story follows a girl named Tallie who has been spending her time working at the local coffee shop instead of attending school because her brother died pretty recently in a car accident. She'd rather not go to school nor stay home, so she prefers to spend her time working at a completely different place with Crazy Andy. She continues to try to heal herself until one day a mysterious guy comes into the cafe and introduces himself as Chase. The thing is, he reminds Tallie crazily of her brother, Nate, who recently died.

I really liked Tallie as a character. She was believable and very realistic in my opinion, which I greatly appreciated. I also loved the whole storyline because I've never read a book with organ donors before. I found it to be really intriguing and riveting. 

I think that my favorite character would have to be Mel. She wasn't scared about hurting Tallie's feelings. She was just the kind of friend that Tallie needed, because she treated Tallie like normal. It wasn't necessarily like nothing had happened, but she wasn't scared to say words like "death", which Tallie appreciated. I also really liked Chase. I thought it was so cool that he had an obsession with biographies. I kind of want to go read more biographies now! 

After finishing this book, I'm definitely looking forward to more by Hannah Barnaby in the future. I loved her writing style and the characters that she came up with. Some of the Parts is a contemporary novel that you won't want to miss!


3 comments:

  1. This sounds really good and moving! I'm glad you liked it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely sounds like something to check out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books about organ donation are getting more and more popular I think? Or at least I've been hearing about them more recently! This book sounds so interesting though, and it sounds really family-oriented! Thanks for sharing, Krystianna!
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!