Friday, March 11, 2016

On the Edge of Gone by Corinne Duyvis | Review

22020598Title: On the Edge of Gone
Author: Corinne Duyvis
Publisher: Amulet Books
Release Date: March 8, 2016
Source: Publisher
Genre: Science Fiction
Edition: ARC (464 pages)

January 29, 2035. That's the day the comet is scheduled to hit-the big one.
Denise and her mother and sister, Iris, have been assigned to a temporary shelter outside their hometown of Amsterdam to wait out the blast, but Iris is nowhere to be found, and at the rate Denise's drug-addicted mother is going, they'll never reach the shelter in time.
A last-minute meeting leads them to something better than a temporary shelter: a generation ship, scheduled to leave Earth behind to colonize new worlds after the comet hits. But everyone on the ship has been chosen because of their usefulness. Denise is autistic and fears that she'll never be allowed to stay. Can she obtain a spot before the ship takes flight? What about her mother and sister?
When the future of the human race is at stake, whose lives matter most?

**Thanks so much to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

A while ago, I got the chance to read Corinne's debut novel and I loved it SO much. It was one of the best books that I've read and I even recently loaned out my copy to a friend because of how wonderful and unique it was. Because of that, I definitely had high hopes going into her second novel, and, luckily, I was not disappointed. 

In this book, the end of the world is coming from a comet that will hit earth. Everyone on earth has known this was going to happen for a while and even began to prepare by making bunkers so that everyone can survive the very first impact and then try to live from there. The day that the comic is supposed to hit, Denise and her mother wait so long for her sister, Iris, to come. She thought that she'd never be able to make it to the shelter at the rate they were going, and she was right. What's a girl to do with the world's demise looming over her head?

I ATE THIS BOOK RIGHT UP. One of my favorite things about it was the amount of diversity. Denise is autistic and her mother was a drug addict, and those are only just two examples! I was very impressed with the amount of diversity and I was appreciative that the diversity was not completely showy either to the point where it was annoying.

I also love how the world was going to end by comet. Sure, I've read books like that, but just the way that the end of the world was happening was very original for me, and I was impressed. The story was also mainly a story of survival, which I found to be unusually unique. I usually don't read slower paced survival stories but I read this one and loved it. It's not very fast paced all the time though, so be warned of that before you go in. I don't mind pacing, so it was great for me. 

If you have a chance, I definitely suggest picking up a copy of this book. It was just as good as Corinne's debut, if not better!

RATING: 4 lightning bolts 

2 comments:

  1. Diversity is always awesome! This sounds really interesting, I do like it when things take a turn for the (post-)apocalyptic. That's a really interesting theme as well - who deserves to be on that ship? Can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you enjoyed it! I was originally drawn to this book because my six year old daughter is autistic, and I love books that have a lot of diversity in them. I'm really looking forward to reading this one - I have the ARC, so maybe I'll read it next!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!