Monday, March 7, 2016

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas | Review

17167166Title: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Release Date: August 27, 2013
Source: Library
Genre: Fantasy
Edition: eBook (418 pages)

From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.
Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances-not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemiah, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.
Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.
 I read Throne of Glass over the summer and I loved it so much. It was completely worth the hype, and though the size of the book was a bit daunting, I flew right through it. The world that Maas created was ultimately amazing, so I knew that I needed to read Crown of Midnight as soon as I could.

This sequel basically follows the storyline of Celaena being told that she has to kill this guy named Archer who is supposedly in charge of a rebel force working against the King. However, Celaena actually knew Archer from her past, so they have quite a bit of history.
I loved all the characters once again. Nehemia, of course, was one of my favorite characters. She was just so cool! I also really loved all of the parts throughout the story that had to do with Dorian, because I'm definitely team Dorian. I don't know why but I just feel that Dorian is way better for Celaena than Chaol! Chaol can be kind of a butthead at times to Celaena too. If you've read this book, you'll know what I mean, because he's a huge one to her in this one at one part which literally changed her life.
Celaena was just completely badass in this story too. I really like how she pretends to kill the people and actually lets them go. It honestly makes her even more badass because she's willing to stand up to the King, even though he doesn't know it.
The world that Maas has created never fails to amaze me. There's just so much that the world has to offer! All the different lands and jobs... it's just all so interesting and I love it! The ending of this book makes me really want to read the next book and I wish I already had a copy, but sadly, I don't. Luckily, I have it on hold at the library! Hopefully I'll read it soon!


6 comments:

  1. I am SO delighted you loved this! I am going to meet SJM next week and you should go read Heir of Fire right away! Yaaay!

    Kate @ The Bookaholic Blurbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this Krystianna! The world building was beautifully done - I really enjoyed that aspect of Crown of Midnight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this book! Throne of Glass is easily one of my new favorites in this genre. I was so addicted to the world that Maas created and I want to desperately know how it ends. I have yet to read Queen of Shadows because money, BUT I know that when I get it--everything in my TBR will be out the window haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked this one!! There's definitely a ton of action and character growth in this second book, and it just gets better as you go on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really happy you loved this one as much as I did Krystianna^^ This installment blew me out of the water and the next ones even more so! I'm already looking forward to reading your thoughts on HoF and QoS :D This is one of my all-time favorite series ♥ Awesome review^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I'm sooo glad you enjoyed this one! This is one of my favorite series ever and I get so happy when I see other people falling in love with it. Have you read the novellas yet? I definitely recommend reading them before picking up HoF because it helps give some background =)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!