Friday, February 5, 2016

Thicker Than Water by Kelly (Fiore) Stultz | Review

18711172Title: Thicker Than Water
Author: Kelly (Fiore) Stultz
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: January 5, 2015
Source: Library
Genre: Contemporary
Edition: eBook


Cecelia Price killed her brother. At least, that's what the police and the district attorney are saying. And although Cecelia is now locked up and forced into treatment, she knows the real story is much more complicated.
Cyrus wasn't always the drug-addled monster he'd become. He was a successful athlete, but when an injury forced him off the soccer field and onto pain medication, his life became a blur of anger, addiction, and violence. All CeCe could do was stand by and watch, until she realized one effective way to take her brother's drugs while earning the money she needed for college: selling the pills.
Soon, CeCe becomes part drug dealer, part honor student. But even when all she wants is to make things right, she learns that sometimes the best intentions lead to the worst possible outcome.
Thicker Than Water is an unforgettable dark, harrowing look into the disturbing truth of drug addiction and the desperate love of a sister watching her brother deteriorate before her eyes. 

Over the past year or so, I have been absolutely loving contemporary novels. That's what really attracted me to the story of Thicker Than Water, though it was a dark contemporary, which made me love it even more.

The story follows a girl named Cece who supposedly killed her brother. She's now trying to get better while preparing for her court date, where a Judge will decide whether she actually did. It would probably help if she didn't keep telling people that she was the one who killed Cyrus.
I really liked how this story was told. There were story parts where it was told in present-tense in the past, which was pretty cool. Those parts including lots of information about Cyrus when he was alive, as well as tons of information about his drug-obsession. Then there were also the parts that were actually helping now, where the reader got to see what was going on inside the facility where Cece was staying.

Another thing that really stood out to me in this story was the way that Kelly Stultz expertly wove the history of what actually went down throughout the story. You didn't really know what happened until towards the end, though you could guess throughout the whole book.
The only thing that kind of held me back while reading this book was that I don't really think I was in the mood for it at the time I read it, which is why I gave it 3 stars. I think you'll really enjoy this one if you're in the mood for a dark contemporary, though. I still will check out more by this author in the future though, because I enjoyed her book Just Like the Movies in the past.


10 comments:

  1. I love reading about and reading reviews of books like this, because they're not something I would read myself but it I love knowing what people think about it haha. I can imagine it's the kind of book you need to be in the mood in to enjoy! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to read this book. I do love darker books so sounds like something I'd (hopefully) love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE dark contemporaries, so this one is a MUST read for me. The writing style reminds me of Dangerous Girls, did you read that one??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved JUST LIKE THE MOVIES too, but even though this sounds compelling because you mentioned it's a dark contemporary, I think I would pass.. I always mix this book up with another book of the same title but by Brigid Kemmerer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been seeing this book a lot! Definitely a lot of buzz surrounding it so I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is definitely one of those books that you had to be in a right mood to read them. I need to keep it in mind for the future when I feel like reading something heavy and dark!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I really enjoyed this one a lot. I also loved the way that Fiore told the truth about what actually happened between Cece and her brother.

    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this book for the most part...but it was so dark. It's definitely one of those types that you have to want to read and not jump into randomly because of how depressing it was.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book, but I didn't have the chance to read it. Too bad it wasn't great for you. Maybe I'll give it a chance when I'm in the mood.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not much of a contemporary reader myself, but this one sounds like it could have something to it. Great review, and I love the Buffy Gif!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!