Sunday, February 21, 2016

How Willa Got Her Groove Back by Emily McKay | Review

26529609Title: How Willa Got Her Groove Back
Author: Emily McKay
Publisher: Entangled Crush
Release Date: February 22, 2016
Source: Netgalley
Genre: Contemporary
Series: Creative HeArts #2
Edition: eARC

When your life feels like a bad movie, rewrite the script.
When Willa Schofer's father comes home from a business trip with an uber-famous new fiancee, Willa's senior year blows up in paparazzi-fueled flames. Overnight, she has a new house, a new car, and a new soon-to-be stepbrother-the unbelievably hot, unbelievably arrogant, Finn McCain. Thank god he's constantly pushing her buttons, or she might do something irresponsible. Like fall for the jerk.
Just when Willa's decided to avoid him for, oh, ever, Finn lands in the center of her senior project team. Seriously-how hard is it to shake a guy? At least her work on the project snagged the attention of the (second) hottest guy in school. He might only be into her because of her famous stepmom, and he's not quite as exciting as a certain annoying housemate, but at least she's allowed to crush on the guy.
Because crushing on your annoying stepbrother? So not cool.
This Entangled Crush book contains an unbelievably hot bad boy, an unbelievably famous actress, and all the drama that comes with adding both to your family. Oh, and a forbidden flirtation with a soon-to-be stepbrother. 

**Thanks so much to Entangled Teen for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I'm a big contemporary fan as of the last year, so I knew that I would definitely love How Willa Got Her Groove Back. The story follows a girl named Willa whose father works in the movie business. When he comes back from filming one movie in particular, he decides to bring Willa out to dinner only to drop a bomb on her: he's getting married to the starlet of the last movie that he helped with. Not only that, but the fiancee also has a son named Finn who will be living with them. Plus, they may all have to move into a new house that's much bigger and in a spot where the paparazzi can't easily get to them.

 I really felt for Willa. I don't know how I'd respond if I was in a situation like she was! I'd probably make a run for it, just like she did. She handled the situation a little better after that, though. Probably better than I would. At the same time, it was pretty cool that her father was marrying a celebrity, even if she was known for her many marriages in the past. 

Finn was a pretty cool character. I mean, the name Finn has always been one of my favorites, so how could I not like him? I felt a little upset with him though because he was trying to get Willa to be okay with the marriage just so he could get millions of dollars from his trust fund. That was kind of a dirty thing to do, in my opinion. But I guess it would get his mother off his back and out of his life, which he kind of wanted. 

I definitely can't wait to read more in this series! If you've not read the first book, you can still read this one because it's more of a companion, which is great! I suggest checking it out if you love contemporaries!


2 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty good... unless it's a thing where Finn and Willa are a love interest. Then I might be a little wary of reading it. I'm not big on the whole step-siblings romance thing. I know they aren't blood related, but still.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Michelle, technically, they aren't step-siblings yet, and I wonder if the proposed marriage will fall apart before it can happen over the course of the three books from Willa and Finn are released in the larger, 12 book arc of the Creative HeArts series. It seems like Willa's dad is changing in all kinds of ways to accommodate his new financee, so I don't think that has staying power. Anyway, Willa is interested in another guy in this book.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!