Monday, February 22, 2016

Firstlife by Gena Showalter | Review

25785357Title: Firstlife (Everlife #1)
Author: Gena Showalter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: February 23, 2016
Source: Netgalley
Genre: Science Fiction
Edition: eARC

ONE CHOICE.
TWO REALMS.
NO SECOND CHANCE.
Tenley "Ten" Lockwood is an average seventeen-year-old girl... who has spent the past thirteen months locked inside the Prynne Asylum. The reason? Not her obsession with numbers, but her refusal to let her parents choose where she'll live-after she dies.
There is an eternal truth most of the world has come to accept: Firstlife is merely a dress rehearsal, and real life begins after death.
In the Everlife, two realms are in power: Troika and Myriad, longtime enemies and deadly rivals. Both will do anything to recruit Ten, including sending their top Laborers to lure her to their side. Soon, Ten finds herself on the run, caught in a wild tug-of-war between the two realms who will do anything to win the right to her soul. Who can she trust? And what if the realm she's drawn to isn't home to the boy she's falling for? She just has to stay alive long enough to make a decision...

**Thanks so much to Harlequin Teen for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

 By now, I'm sure that almost everyone knows that I'm a sucker for a good science fiction/fantasy novel. That's what instantly drew me into Firstlife. That, and I'd heard pretty good things about Gena Showalter's past novels. I mean, how could I possibly pass this one up?
First life follows a girl named Tenley. She's been locked up because she won't choose with Everlife she wants to go to. You see, in Tenley's world, you have more than one life, because Firstlife is just like round one. After Firstlife, you enter Everlife, but only if you've signed with either Myriad or Troika, two opposing realms. Ten's family is signed with Myriad, but she's not sure that's the right place for her. I mean, how does one possibly choose? So she's locked up and is constantly abused because she hasn't chosen. To make matters worse, her parents are forcing Vans to pretty much make her choose Myriad, it seems. 

Ten was an okay character. I found it pretty cool that she was obsessed with numbers and I can understand why she didn't know who to sign with. However, it almost got annoying at times because she just wouldn't choose who she wanted. I understand that was the premise of the book, but still. I'd get really into the book at times and then it would be brought up again that she didn't know which side she wanted to be on. To make matters even better, she had an attractive guy from each realm fighting for her to hurry up and choose. 
Now that I briefly mentioned the two guys, I thought it's worth noting that I actually really liked them. At first, I liked Killian because he was very unique and I loved the way that he spoke. He always called people "lass". However, I ended up liking Archer more. I don't really know why. I just feel that he wasn't as forceful when it came to choosing realms. 

It was hard at times to really see the differences that these two realms had, so I hope that those differences are further developed in book two, which I am eagerly anticipating.


8 comments:

  1. I really want to read this one! I'm hoping to get it soon. I just finished Gena Showalter's Alice in Zombieland series and loved it. I'm excited to read another ya book by her and scifi which I love. Great review!
    -Amanda @ She's Quite Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh not another love triangle. But the book sounds a lot more about the different worlds and Ten having to choose one so I might still give it a look see. Your review was quite encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book has intrigued me for a while, so I'm glad to have read this review! Definitely want to try this one out now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this sounds so cool. I'm a big fantasy/sci-fi reader so I might enjoy this. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had my eye on this book and I'm going to add it to my TBR. It sounds like it was pretty cool if not a little tiresome at some points because of all the decision. But I do like my sci-fi and fantasy, so :D

    My recent post: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2016/02/dear-malala.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book looks so good. I love the synopsis. I am glad to see you enjoyed it. Killian and Archer are really cool names. I will definitely be checking this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super glad you enjoyed this one, Krystianna! IT really does sound interesting - that concept just hooks me in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it sounds like a love triangle, but I literally just finished it and I can tell you it is obvious who she's going to pick the entire time, and one of the boys she specifies that their bond is familial, so don't stress! �� No silly love triangle here ��

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!