Thursday, February 11, 2016

Because You'll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas | Review

20649195Title: Because You'll Never Meet Me
Author: Leah Thomas
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's Books
Release Date: July 2, 2015
Source: Library
Genre: Contemporary
Edition: eBook (344 pages)

Ollie and Moritz are best friends, but they can never meet. Ollie is allergic to electricity. Contact with it causes debilitating seizures. Moritz's weak heart is kept pumping by an electronic pacemaker. If they ever did meet, Ollie would seize. But Moritz would die without his pacemaker. Both hermits from society, the boys develop a fierce bond through letters that become a lifeline during dark times-as Ollie loses his only friend, Liz, to the normalcy of high school and Moritz deals with a bully set on destroying him.
A story of impossible friendship and hope under strange circumstances, this debut is powerful, dark and humorous in equal measure. These extraordinary voices bring readers into the hearts an minds of two special boys who, like many teens, are just waiting for their moment to shine. 

Because You'll Never Meet Me was one of my most anticipated reads of 2015, and after finally getting the chance to read it, I understand that it was worth the wait.

The story basically follows these two characters, Ollie and Moritz. Both are suffering from stage diseases. Ollie gets seizures whenever he goes near electricity, so he lives in a cabin in the woods with his mom and never sees outside civilization. Moritz, on the other hand, has no eyes and also has a somewhat mechanical heart. However, he can pretty much sense things around him, so it's like he can see without actually seeing, which is pretty awesome. The two of them can never meet, because Ollie would have seizures upon meeting Moritz. Yet, they still worked so hard to encourage each other to be happier in their lives.
I felt so deeply for both of these characters. Ollie was so sweet and lighthearted, though he changed so much after some of the changes in his life, especially involving his mom and Liz. Meanwhile, Moritz was living with someone who adopted him, and he didn't like to talk about his mom or laboratories. I just felt so connected to the characters and everything that happened to them throughout the story. I was rooting for the both of them to have their happy endings.

Another thing worth noting is that the story is told through letters between the two, which made for a very fascinating read. The two took turns writing to each other, and the reader got to read those letters. The two also had very different and distinct voices, so I was never once questioning whose story I was actually reading in the chapters. Also, there are LGBT elements, so yay! I really love how those elements shined through, because you don't really get them until the end, but the feelings were so sweet.
The beginning of the story felt very much like a contemporary, though towards the end, I got very hardcore sci-fi vibes, so I'd say that this is a good mix of the two. I also got some Frankenstein vibes, though I don't exactly know why! All I can say is that Because You'll Never Meet Me is a book that you won't want to miss out on.


8 comments:

  1. I've seen this cover around but I'd never read the synopsis until now! Wow, this sounds incredible and, based on your review, I definitely want to read this one! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG been seeing this around! Can't wait to get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one too!! I loved the form of the letters and I didn't see the whole genre twist at the end coming but thought it was great. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book does actually sound really good. Thanks for letting us know about it. :D

    -- Scott (The Jolly Wordsmith)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I saw this one around and it sounded interesting. I like that it's got a mix of contemporary and sci-fi.

    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, this one does sound very good. :D I like a good mix of genres so I bet it would be right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has been on my list forever now and I still haven't read it! I loved your review - it made me wonder what the heck is taking me so long to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this one too! I adored both Ollie and Moritz and they're letters to each other were the main thing I liked about the book. I didn't enjoy it as much as you did, but it took me quite a big chunk of the book to actually get invested in the story. But it was definitely a great read. Glad you enjoyed it :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!