Thursday, February 25, 2016

A Study in Charlotte Blog Tour!


A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes #1)
by Brittany Cavallaro
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: March 1st 2016
Genre: Young Adult, Mystery, Contemporary, Retellings, Fiction, Romance, Thriller

The last thing sixteen-year-old Jamie Watson–writer and great-great-grandson of the John Watson–wants is a rugby scholarship to Sherringford, a Connecticut prep school just an hour away from his estranged father. But that’s not the only complication: Sherringford is also home to Charlotte Holmes, the famous detective’s enigmatic, fiercely independent great-great-granddaughter, who’s inherited not just his genius but also his vices, volatile temperament, and expertly hidden vulnerability. Charlotte has been the object of his fascination for as long as he can remember–but from the moment they meet, there’s a tense energy between them, and they seem more destined to be rivals than anything else.
Then a Sherringford student dies under suspicious circumstances ripped straight from the most terrifying of the Holmes stories, and Jamie and Charlotte become the prime suspects. Convinced they’re being framed, they must race against the police to conduct their own investigation. As danger mounts, it becomes clear that nowhere is safe and the only people they can trust are each other.
Equal parts tender, thrilling, and hilarious, A Study in Charlotte is the first in a trilogy brimming with wit and edge-of-the-seat suspense.


As soon as I heard about A Study in Charlotte, I knew that it was a book that I'd really like, and boy was I right!

I've watched some of Sherlock on Netflix, though I've not seen all of it. However, I do know enough about Sherlock and Watson to understand he story! A Study in Charlotte follows Jamie, who is going to a boarding school in America. He's the descendant of John Watson, and Sherlock's descendant also happens to be going to the same exact boarding school. Jamie has been following the stories of Charlotte for the longest time, so he's pretty excited to finally get to know her. The two get pretty close after a murder happens at their school and they are seen as suspects! *suspense music*

I really liked Jamie. For some reason, I feel like I haven't read that many YA books with male narrators, which is weird, because looking back at my read shelves I actually have. Maybe it's just that I've been reading a lot of books with female narrators lately. ANYWAYS. I loved reading from Jamie's point of view! He was a pretty awesome character and I loved his voice.

I also really liked Charlotte. She was so much like Sherlock! She could look at something and come to a conclusion within seconds. I also loved her story and how she said that Sherlocks were trained from a  young age to become the way that they are. They spend so much time studying in order to be able to come to conclusions and solve mysteries in the manner that they do. 

I also really liked the story overall. I think it's so awesome that the characters were actually related to Sherlock and Watson... I mean, that's just the coolest idea! Also, in this world, the Sherlock stories were written as books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but the characters were real. I'm really hoping that is expanded on a bit more in the next book, because I feel like that would be very cool with more details! I'd highly suggest giving this one a read, even if you're not the biggest Sherlock fan, because it's such a fun boarding school murder mystery!



logan lerman face claim logan lerman faceclaim gif
Logan Lerman as Jamie Watson


ps that's my new fav hailee steinfeld gif
Hailee Steinfeld Charlotte Holmes


patrick dempsey dereck shepherd gif
Patrick Dempsey as Jamie's father

 photo addtogoodreadssmall_zpsa2a6cf28.png photo B6096376-6C81-4465-8935-CE890C777EB9-1855-000001A1E900B890_zps5affbed6.jpg


Follow the A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro Blog Tour and don't miss anything! Click on the banner to see the tour schedule.



Brittany Cavallaro is a poet, fiction writer, and old school Sherlockian. She is the author of the poetry collection Girl-King (University of Akron) and is the recipient of a National Endowment for the Arts fellowship. She earned her BA in literature from Middlebury College and her MFA in poetry from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Currently, she's a PhD candidate in English literature at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where she teaches creative writing, detective fiction, and lots of other things. She lives in Wisconsin with her husband, cat, and collection of deerstalker caps. Find her at her website, brittanycavallaro.com, or on Twitter @skippingstones.







12 comments:

  1. If you're a fan of Sherlock, it sounds like this book would be totally up your alley! So glad to hear that Charlotte was a lot like the character and that you enjoyed the book. Lovely review Krystianna!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really cool, it's such an interesting concept! Truthfully I've never really followed the whole Sherlock story, but it always did somehow peak my interest! You may have convinced me yet ;) Thanks for sharing!!


    Florentine @ Readiculously Peachy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! This one looks so great. Good luck to everyone in the giveaway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds totally like something I would love because I love Sherlock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH I cannot wait to read this! Love the casting, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The casting was fun to look over. This book sounds like a really cool read. Will try to fit in a purchase somewhere. My book buying list is long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen a few mixed review for this one, but to see how much you enjoyed it makes such a refreshing change. I'm not generally a fan of Sherlock as such, but love mysteries in themselves and really looking forward to grabbing a copy. Wonderful review Krystianna, really enjoyed it <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you enjoyed this book...I am excited to check it out! I like the whole boarding school murder mystery aspect. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god, STOP. THAT DREAM CAST IS PERFECT! I looooved this book and feel the same way with Jamie. Even though I've read plenty of books from male pov's, it just felt different. He was super easy to relate too, and was super funny. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would watch a movie based off this book! That dream cast is so ideal - I can really see Hailey and Logan together for a crime solving duo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this one too but I haven't read it yet, and I probably should since it comes out this week. I don't know much about Sherlock and Watson at all, so it's kind of all new to me. I don't know if it will work for me but I like the boarding school aspect so I'm hoping it does.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been looking forward to this book for a while, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! That dream cast is brilliant - I can totally see Patrick Dempsey playing Logan's father. :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!