Wednesday, January 6, 2016

This Song Is (Not) For You by Laura Nowlin | Review

18626414Title: This Song Is (Not) For You
Author: Laura Nowlin
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: January 5, 2016
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Publisher for Review
Edition: eArc

Bandmate, best friend or boyfriend? For Ramona, one choice could mean losing them all.
Ramona and Sam are best friends. She fell for him the moment they met, but their friendship is just too important for her to mess up. Sam loves April, but he would never expect her to feel to feel the same way--she's too quirky and cool for someone like him. Together, they have a band, and put all of their feelings for each other into music.
Then Ramona and Sam meet Tom. He's their band's missing piece, and before Ramona knows it, she's falling for him. But she hasn't fallen out of love with Sam either.
How can she be true to her feelings without breaking up the band?

**Thanks so much to Sourcebooks Fire for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review!**

I am a massive fan of music. In today's day in age, who isn't? That's why I was extremely excited for this book as soon as I heard about it. I mean, a band and bandmates who love each other? YES PLEASE.
boy with guitar love for music gif 
The story follows Ramona and Sam, both who are in a band together. Their band was called April and the Rain, which I really liked. It has a cool ring to it. Anyway, Ramona and Sam really like each other though neither of them tells the other. While at a musical try out for one of the colleges they're applying to, Ramona meets a guy named Tom. Tom seems like the perfect fit for their band, and before long, they are all the best of friends. However, Tom and Ramona end up dating.

I didn't know that this book would involve a love triangle, which I think through me for a bit of a loop. I was reading and then when Tom came I was devastated because I was hoping for a band love story!
what just happened confused gif
However, I do love it when books through me for a loop, so I kind of actually appreciated the love triangle aspect! I just wish I had known earlier that it was going to involve one.

One thing that stuck out to me about this book was the fact that one of the characters was asexual. I've never actually read a book with an asexual character, so I found that to be pretty intriguing, especially in a young adult book. I won't say who the character is because I don't want to spoil anything. In the end, this book was alright, but I felt that it was very short and I kind of wanted more from the characters. Plus, the ending kind of through me for a loop. However, if you like love triangles and books about music, then this may be the book for you!

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. I was curious about this book, and your review has definitely helped. :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame. This book looks so good, but I've only seen meh or bad reviews for it. Sorry you didn't like to better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I've been on the fence about reading this one. I also love books that deal with music. Too bad you didn't enjoy this one that much. I'm not crazy about love triangles either. I'm really interested in the fact that this book had an asexual character though. There are not enough asexual characters in young adult books.

    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank goodness. I keep seeing good reviews for this one and I'm wondering what the heck I missed, because this book was just such a mess that I almost didn't even finish it. The relationships were just a train wreck.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!