Monday, January 4, 2016

Thief of Lies by Brenda Drake | Review


17669243Title: Thief of Lies
Author: Brenda Drake
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: January 5, 2016
Genre: Paranormal/Magic
Source: Netgalley
Edition: eARC

Gia Kearns would rather fight with boys than kiss them. That is, until Arik, a leather clad hottie in the Boston Athenaeum, suddenly disappears. While examining the book of world libraries he abandoned, Gia unwittingly speaks the key that sucks her and her friends into a photograph and transports them into a Paris library, where Arik and his Sentinels—magical knights charged with protecting humans from the creatures traveling across the gateway books—rescue them from a demonic hound.

Jumping into some of the world's most beautiful libraries would be a dream come true for Gia, if she weren’t busy resisting her heart or dodging an exiled wizard seeking revenge on both the Mystik and human worlds. Add a French flirt obsessed with Arik and a fling with a young wizard, and Gia must choose between her heart and her head, between Arik's world and her own, before both are destroyed.

**Thank you to Entangled Teen for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review**

I have to say that Thief of Lies was one book that I was looking forward to so much this year. It sounded like a completely amazing world, and I have to say, after reading, I was definitely right on that front. First of all, the story follows a girl named Gia who accidentally travels through a book in a library once with her friends after finding a mysterious guy in a library, who we later find is named Arik. Trust me, you're going to like Arik.  Come to find out, Gia is actually a Sentinel and happens to be the daughter of two Sentinels, which is illegal. She's basically a doomsday child, and there's even been a prophecy made about the child of two sentinels, so it's very possible that this prophecy is talking about her. 

Gia was a very strong character. I was quite impressed by how she took her new role as a Sentinel quite well. I also really liked Arik... he was a great character. However, there was so much mystery surrounding him for such a long time! There was also some pretty intense fighting.

knowing true stuff sword fighting gif
One of my favorite things about this story was the awesome world that Drake created. I have to say, it may even be my favorite thing. The whole idea of Sentinels having "globes" was also very cool. A globe is basically a ball that each Sentinel can conjure. Gia ends up having a truth globe, which is extremely unique and rare, which was pretty awesome. Oh, and did I mention, a lot of the setting is in Boston! Boston is one of my favorite cities, so I absolutely loved that about the book.

I rather enjoyed the book for all those reasons. However, I did find it to be kind of similar to The Mortal Instruments series, so if you love that series, then this may be the perfect book for you. 

 

3 comments:

  1. I want to read this one so badly. What a gorgeous cover!

    Majanka @ I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought this one! I'm not a huge fan of the Mortal Instruments series, but I did still enjoy it, so hopefully this one will be pretty good. The world sounds amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!