Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Year We Fell Apart by Emily Martin | Blog Tour


The Year We Fell Apart
by Emily Martin
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: January 26th 2016
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction

In the tradition of Sarah Dessen, this powerful debut novel is a compelling portrait of a young girl coping with her mother’s cancer as she figures out how to learn from—and fix—her past.
Few things come as naturally to Harper as epic mistakes. In the past year she was kicked off the swim team, earned a reputation as Carson High’s easiest hook-up, and officially became the black sheep of her family. But her worst mistake was destroying her relationship with her best friend, Declan.
Now, after two semesters of silence, Declan is home from boarding school for the summer. Everything about him is different—he’s taller, stronger…more handsome. Harper has changed, too, especially in the wake of her mom’s cancer diagnosis.
While Declan wants nothing to do with Harper, he’s still Declan, her Declan, and the only person she wants to talk to about what’s really going on. But he’s also the one person she’s lost the right to seek comfort from.
As their mutual friends and shared histories draw them together again, Harper and Declan must decide which parts of their past are still salvageable, and which parts they’ll have to let go of once and for all.
In this honest and affecting tale of friendship and first love, Emily Martin brings to vivid life the trials and struggles of high school and the ability to learn from past mistakes over the course of one steamy North Carolina summer.


First off, I just thought that I'd mention I'm listening to Taylor Swift because her music could be the perfect playlist for this book in my opinion. Well, maybe not all her music, but the soundtrack Red works perfectly! So yeah, currently jamming out to T. Swizzle whilst trying to gather all of my thoughts, because this book was definitely something. 
taylor swift photoshoot ttaylor swift tumblr gif
The Year We Fell Apart follows Harper, a girl whose mother recently got diagnosed with cancer and whose ex-boyfriend/best friend currently came back to town. The two of them broke up while Declan (the ex) was at a boarding school, though he never exactly knew why. However, now that Declan is back, Harper can't help but wonder if she still has feelings for him. I mean, she, Cory, and Declan all used to be the best of friends before he left and his mother was killed. It was better times for all three of them back then.
Now, Harper spends most of her time getting drunk and partying with her new best friend. She seems to have two sides and being with this new friend really makes her become someone else. She even has a guy, Kyle, whose completely obsessed with her, or rather, what she can give to him. But now, Harper isn't sure that it's the life for her, because of Declan. 
To be completely honest, I'd never read a book about exes getting back together, so I actually rather liked that idea! I really liked Harper as a character and adored her friendship with Cory. Cory was such a good friend to her. He always came and got her when she sounded drunk or needed a ride. Cory just wanted to make sure that Harper was always safe. They were literally awesome friends.
I also really liked Declan. I was rooting for Harper and Declan the whole time. However, I wish he was a little more understanding about Kyle at times! One of my favorite things was the way that the reader found out about why they broke up. The whole story kind of gives out hints and tidbits about what went down, but it isn't until about 75% of the way in when you get told and it kinda just hits you RIGHT IN THE FEELS. 
Trust me, if you've not preordered a copy of this one yet, you're going to want to. 


 photo addtogoodreadssmall_zpsa2a6cf28.png photo B6096376-6C81-4465-8935-CE890C777EB9-1855-000001A1E900B890_zps5affbed6.jpg


Follow the The Year We Fell Apart by Emily Martin Blog Tour and don't miss anything! Click on the banner to see the tour schedule.



Emily Martin lives and writes in the Greater Boston area, though she will always call Michigan home. She has a penchant for impromptu dance parties, vintage clothing, and traveling to new places. When not writing, she can be found hiking New England’s peaks, searching for the perfect cup of hot chocolate, or baking something pumpkin-flavored.

Emily’s debut young adult novel, THE YEAR WE FELL APART, comes out January 26, 2016 from Simon Pulse.

Her work is represented by Lara Perkins of Andrea Brown Literary.





13 comments:

  1. This sounds like such an interesting book - I've never read a book about couples coming back together, so this would also be a first for me. And I've been saying this forever but I REALLY need to read another contemporary novel soon, so I'm definitely going to add this to my TBR! :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygosh this book sounds SO GOOD. I hope I find a copy to purchase immediately on release day! I love reading books about best friends and exes (I see that this is your first time reading a book about exes! I'm so glad you enjoyed - YA has lots of good ones!), and I just know that I would end up rooting for Harper and Declan.

    Great review, Krystianna! :)

    Yay - you enjoyed this book too! And I agree with you - the book started out slow, but once it picked up, boy, I couldn't stop reading! I adored Lorelai, and yes, she is indeed a great heroine. (And I really loved Gabril! And Kol! And everyone!)

    Fantastic review, Richa! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this book! It's really my kind of read.
    Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha yes! T-Swift's Red is definitely a good album for this book. I really enjoyed this book and agree with everything you said. Cory is a best friend goal! Definitely loved seeing a platonic relationship between a guy and girl in YA. I loved how much Declan stayed around to make sure he was around for Harper.

    Great review! You echoed my sentiments about this book perfectly =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing! This does sound like quite a good read. I also really like finding music that makes me think of books. haha :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa this was your first second chance romance book? :O
    I've always really enjoyed books with that topic so I'm really looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read a book about exes coming back together either so that is something new for me too. It sounds like this book is about a character who is getting back to her old self and finding out what she really wants again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! Now you've done it! This one is definitely on my TBR now because of you, which is a good thing. I'm curious on the "RIGHT IN THE FEELS" part. Lovely review!!

    Denise @ I am Shelfless

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one I am super excited about. I am all about the feels so I am pretty sure I will love it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This kind of reminds me of Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway, which I absolutely adored. If I wasn’t excited for this already, your review has just increased my excitement. ;) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥ (And thanks for the lovely giveaway too!)

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo! I love the name Declan. This book sounds like I'll need a bazillion tissues. Thanks so much for making me add it to my TBR pile. Yeesh! ;)

    Thanks for visiting Shell's Stories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I'm here to introduce someone to you all, his name is Dr.Ekpen Temple a spell caster that help me restored my broken relationship, I saw an article on the Internet someone talking about him how he help her in her relationship, today I'm a beneficial of that article, so that is why I'm also talking about how he has helped me so that someone out there that is facing the same challenge can also contact him for help. Here is DR EKPEN TEMPLE contact info: (ekpentemple@gmail.com) or on Whatsapp number 2347050270218.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely here are some new ones for me I really can't wait to read the year we fell apart and I am interested in tell best essay services review me three things. Thanks for sharing its really enjoyable and I hope all readers will enjoy its great post.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!