Monday, January 11, 2016

The Girlfriend Request by Jodi Andrefski | Review

28100441Title: The Girlfriend Request
Author: Jodi Andrefski
Publisher: Entangled Crush
Release Date: January 11, 2016
Source: Netgalley
Genre: contemporary
Edition: eARC

Emma has been best friends with Eli since she moved to his neighborhood ten years ago. Tired of being cast in the role of the girl next door, Emma creates a fake Facebook profile in the hopes of starting an online friendship with Eli, which would hopefully lead to more. Like... way more. From friend request to In a Relationship--it all seemed so completely logical when she'd planned it.
Eli can't figure out what Emma is up to. He's pretty sure she's the one behind the Facebook profile, but then again, why would she do something so drastic instead of just admitting she wants to be more than just friends? And who the heck is this new guy he saw her with? Eli starts to think that just maybe... he missed his chance with the girl next door.
Two best friends, one outlandish ruse. Their status is about to become way more than It's Complicated... 

**Thanks so much to Entangled Teen for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!**

The Girlfriend Request follows Emma, who happens to have a HUGE crush on her best friend Eli, who also happens to be her next-door neighbor. The two of them do almost everything together, though since they've been friends for so long, Emma doesn't want to jeopardize what they have by becoming anything more. However, she is definitely in love with Eli. That's why she decides to create a fake Facebook profile and try to get Eli to fall for her. It's all fun and games until Emma has too many lies surrounding her life in regards to Eli. To make it even better, the reader gets to see the story through Eli's point of view as well, and gets to see that Eli really likes Emma too!

I definitely enjoyed this story, especially the romance. I feel like it would make for a perfect beach-vibe sort of read, if you know what I mean. It was just so fun and light-hearted and the reader really begins to fall for the characters. I even found myself rooting for Eli & Emma to get together!

I would never ever create a fake Facebook profile if I really liked a guy, though I can see where Emma is coming from. It would be completely scary to make a jump from friends to more than friends after such a long period of time. In a way, Emma was really gutsy, and I almost respect her for that, though it definitely caused her so many problems.

I really liked Eli, though I wish he would just come out and tell Emma that he had feelings for her too! He even had a feeling that the girl he was talking to was Emma though he didn't say anything, and I was really hoping he would. I guess Emma was just super good at covering her tracks!

After I've finished reading, this book was definitely a fun, quirky read that is really easy to get through.


5 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds super cute! I can definitely see it as a beach/summer read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering whether to read this! It sounded really cute from the synopsis but I was a bit worried the characters might not be great - glad you enjoyed it though! It definitely looks like it'd be a really fun read, so I think you've convinced me to give it a go! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one actually sounds pretty cute. But I definitely would NEVER make a fake Facebook profile. I mean, he is obviously going to find out eventually, right? Lol It would be so much simpler to just come clean from the beginning. I love stories like this, though. The silly ones always seem to be the best. :D

    Sarah @ Kerosene Lit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry but I am just on the way he's grabbing her jacket. My first thought was who would want to be his girlfriend? This is an assault. Now I know it's not but this cover has turned me off. Too uncomfortable now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggle a little bit with books where the basis of the relationship is built on lies, but I have to admit that them being friends really appeals to me. I might cave and give this a try! :)
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!