Monday, January 11, 2016

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff | Review ft. Grey's Anatomy

23395680Authors: Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristoff
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Release Date: October 20, 2015
Genre: Science Fiction
Source: Purchased
Edition: Hardcover (599 pages)

This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she'd have to do.
This afternoon, her planet was invaded.
The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that's little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra-who are barely even talking to each other-are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.
But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what's really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.
Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents-including emails, schematics, military files, IMs, medical reports, interviews, and more-Illuminae is the first book in a heart-stopping, high-octane trilogy about lives interrupted, the price of truth, and the courage of everyday heroes. 

Hello? You there? YES YOU, READING THIS. If you haven't heard of Illuminae already, then you've surely been living out of a hole. Here, grab my hand and I'll bring you into the wonderful world of Illuminae! *holds out hand*
please just come back to me gif
Good. Now that you've decided to let me tell you all about this wonderful book, let me start off with a synopsis. This book is the story of Kady and Ezra, two ex-lovers whose planet was attacked. Both of them ended up on two different ships, the Alexander and the Hypatia. However, they decide to keep in touch through emails. Anyway, you get to read through both of their viewpoints and find out what's going on in their crazy world. Got it so far? Good.
grey's anatomy cristina yang gif
Okay, well let me tell you this. Illuminae isn't your average story... it's told through interviews, instant messages, emails, and diary entries. There's even transcribed audio recordings. Yes, you heard me right. If you're not excited yet, trust me, there's more.
greysanatomyaddicted grey's anatomy gif
The ships in this book almost seem to be fighting against each other at times, and that is all because of AIDAN, the Artificial Intelligence. This AI isn't your normal AI either, because you begin to feel things for him. Yes, you heard me right. The AI actually begins to become someone you love even though you start out hating him. Plus, he's not even real, or is he? That's up for you to decide with your take on Artificial Intelligences.
grey's anatomy blackandwhite gif
Still not interested? Well let me tell you more. This may be a love story, but it's even more of a story about fighting for what's right. Kady and Ezra both do everything they can in order to help the human race survive so that their stories could be told, no matter their sacrifices. Their friends do this to, and some of them are characters that you will also learn to love, and then miss... terribly.
grey's anatomy greys anatomy gif
I seriously hope that I've grabbed your attention by now. If what I've said still hasn't gotten to you, then let me tell you that you will be come so severely attached to these characters. Things will happen to them and you'll feel like they're happening to you too. If a character loses his/her arm, you've just lost your arm too.
derek shepherd greys anatomy gif
Illuminae is a book filled with everything I've ever wanted in a book and more. That's why you need to read it. Go on. READ IT. AND THEN YOU CAN COME & FANGIRL WITH ME.
30 day grey's anatomy challenge gif

And if you don't pick this book up, just remember...
grey's anatomy greys anatomy gif


7 comments:

  1. I've had this book for quite some time. I started it but had to put it down. BUT, I can tell it's going to be a really great read. Nice review, gives me something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks so good. I like books with unusual formatting, so I can’t wait to read this one.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you liked this one so much! I'm super excited to start it. I just need to get through a couple of library books that are due back soon first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew about this book but did not buy it because TBD was only selling it for about $30 US. But seeing your post inspired me to check it out again and there is finally a $15 paperback. I have put it on my wishlist and should be able to get a copy in February as long as the paperback stays in stock. You made a great case for this book in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when this book was like THE buzz book at BEA this year - I was excited to get it but at the same time, I couldn't help but wonder how it would ever live up to the mad hype. Now here I am, kicking myself that I STILL have not read it. Well you'll be happy to hear that it SHALL BE my very next reads, after I finish Winter that is (unless I need a shorter book in between these two beast) I adore sci-fi and the unique format just makes this all the more appealing to me! Fantastic review Krystianna^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this review! I keep hearing amazing things about Illuminae and I now have a copy of the book on my shelf so I have no excuse! Also you can't go wrong with some good Grey's Anatomy gifs haha :)

    --Nicola Reads YA

    ReplyDelete
  7. EVERYONE just seems to be loving this one so I can't wait to eventually dive into it myself and submerge myself into the cool sci-fi world. Is it bad that I am even more excited for the formatting of the book than the actual story?

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!