Friday, January 22, 2016

Everything Leads To You by Nina Lacour | Review

18667779Title: Everything Leads To You
Author: Nina LaCour
Publisher: Dutton Books for Young Readers
Release Date: May 15, 2014
Source: Library
Genre: Contemporary
Edition: eBook

A wunderkind young set designer, Emi has already started to find her way in the competitive Hollywood film world.
Emi is a film buff and a true romantic, but her real-life relationships are a mess. She has desperately gone back to the same girl too many times to mention. But then a mysterious letter from a silver screen legend leads Emi to Ava. Ava is unlike anyone Emi has ever met. She has a tumultuous, not-so-glamorous past, and lives an unconventional life. She's enigmatic... She's beautiful. And she is about to expand Emi's understanding of family, acceptance, and true romance. 

I had heard countless good things about this story, which is why as soon as I saw it on my library's online catalog, I instantly downloaded it and began reading. Before long, I understood what all the hype was about, and I'm here to tell you that this is a book YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE.

*cue sales-pitch voice* Are you a fan of movies? What about romance? What about movies AND romance? THEN THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU. It follows a girl named Emi who works for a movie agency where she is an assistant. She basically helps design sets, almost like the interior designer of the whole production. It's pretty cool.
tell me more oh really? gif
ANYWAY. Emi has been in love with Morgan for the longest time, though Morgan keeps breaking up with her. Her heart is a mess. On top of that, she recently visited a deceased movie star's mansion and purchased something, only to find that what she purchased included a letter for someone that she had never heard of. This, of course, leads to a grandiose mission that takes place throughout the novel with her best friend Charlotte.
going on an adventure little miss sunshine gif

This book was a whirlwind of a read. It was part road trip yet it also included romance and so much in-depth behind-the-scenes stuff about movies. Before reading this, I knew little to nothing about the production put into movies. Now, I know quite a bit! I found it especially sad, however, that the people behind the camera almost get their movie fantasy ruined because they see how much editing and costume goes in to every scene of the movie, while the casual movie watcher doesn't, thus causing the movie watcher to be more easily amazed.

One of my favorite things about this book was that it featured a LGBT protagonist. Our main character, Emi. I loved her to bits! She was so awesome and I really liked how she developed throughout the story. The reader really got to see her grow into a stronger version of herself, which goes to show how amazing this novel was. I also really liked Ava, Charlotte, and Jamal. They all were such great characters on top of Emi! Plus, there was a serious amount of girl power in this book.
If this doesn't sound like a book that you'd enjoy, then I highly advise you to think again, because I feel that this is a wonderful book for all readers. Plus, it's impossible to put down once you start!


8 comments:

  1. I've heard nothing but great reviews about this one. So glad it was good for you as well. I need to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is definitely one of my favourites! I just loved seeing the alternative side to the movie making industry than just acting, and I loved Emi's character development and relationship too. Lovely review Krystianna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds amazing! Road-trip/romance/movie-sets, it sounds too good to be real. I need to add it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will cry because of how much I need this book and the great things that I've heard about it is driving me insane. This is truly excruciating because I can't find it in any bookstore near me and I can't find it online in Egypt. SO ANNOYED! But I'm super super glad you liked it, it sets my standards extremely high for this one and I trust your opinion, so I don't think I'll be disappointed with all the anticipation :)

    Great review♥
    Jumana @ Books by Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't read this, hadn't really looked at it, as I'm not much of a contemporary reader. But your review has made me want to read it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this one sounds really excellent! And definitely my kind of book. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sales-girl technique worked out, LOL. I'm a fan of movies, romance AND movies and romance so maybe I should give this book a try- I do need to pick up a contemporary soon! Lovely review, Krystianna :))

    Ruzaika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought this book for myself over Christmas and I haven't gotten to it yet, but I can tell I'm going to fall in love with it from your fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!